Surprising Pope Francis Update

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Surprising Pope Francis Update

Post by jgress »

I'm quite skeptical of naive faith in science, progress, democracy and so forth. If I weren't, I wouldn't be Orthodox, let alone True Orthodox. But my skeptical nature also leads me to question much of these conspiracy theories and end-time predictions. To me there are only two ways to be confident about such things: be a true clairvoyant saint who is actually gifted by God with prophecy; or else, second best, form a scientific prediction based on available evidence.

By "available evidence", I don't mean the testimony of some anonymous caller on Alex Jones claiming to be someone important with "inside information"; I mean evidence that we can all ascertain. I want to know who these people are, be able to verify it from independent sources; likewise, I want independent evidence for their assertions.

I'm not advocating faith in secularism. I'm advocating skepticism about a potential rival religion, namely "conspiratorialism".

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Surprising Pope Francis Update

Post by jgress »

Another way to look at this is the following. We don't need conspiracy theories to know what's wrong with the Pope. First, he espouses the thousand-year-old heresies of Papism; second, he espouses the recent heresy of Ecumenism. That's all we need to know; we don't need to know whether he's secretly a Freemason or a Zionist. We have plenty of open Freemasons and Zionists!