Theotokos/Panagia/God Giver/Mother of God Orthodox justification?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
irishpilgrim

Re: Theotokos/Panagia/God Giver/Mother of God Orthodox justification?

Post by irishpilgrim »

someguy wrote:

@d9popov - Once again your response is 100% preaching to the converted IE; me fore example :) though is there not an Orthodox page similar to this that tries to trump other doctrines like the following link does?

https://truthfortheworld.org/only-one-i ... -of-christ

Like in the "HOW CAN WE KNOW THE CHURCH THE LORD BUILT?" section which quotes many bible verses to justify refuting the ancient church.not

@Maria - This seems like a great book, I will definitely havepfst a look.

I'm confused that you may be recommending the truthfortheworld.com materials, which appear to me to be another version of pure Protestant interpretation to me.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

irishpilgrim wrote:

I'm confused that you may be recommending the truthfortheworld.com materials, which appear to me to be another version of pure Protestant interpretation to me.

My apologies as I did not wish to endorse the doctrine portrayed in the URL only the layout and style that it was advocating its opinion.

It may help to explain my reasoning for looking for a more simple or less complicated way of showing someone the true ancient dogma of Christ's church.

Essentially this issue has come up several times when meeting a possible future spouse and as is the natural progression of things spirituality does come up...

Thanks for everyone's input

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

someguy wrote:
irishpilgrim wrote:

My apologies as I did not wish to endorse the doctrine portrayed in the URL only the layout and style that it was advocating its opinion.

It may help to explain my reasoning for looking for a more simple or less complicated way of showing someone the true ancient dogma of Christ's church.

Essentially this issue has come up several times when meeting a possible future spouse and as is the natural progression of things spirituality does come up...

Thanks for everyone's input

Have you had a chance to read Becoming Orthodox by the late Father Peter Gillquist? In that book, Father Peter and his team of Bible scholars asked and researched questions commonly asked by Protestants. They were originally part of the 2000+ member Evangelical Orthodox Church, which ultimately converted to the Orthodox Church.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

Maria wrote:

Have you had a chance to read Becoming Orthodox by the late Father Peter Gillquist?

I am not currently in the US so I think it will take a while to get my hands on it though I'll look again as I only found american sites and the below convert to Protestantism from Orthodoxy shaming the book sadly...
https://faithalone.org/journal-articles ... ian-faith/

I know most Orthodox usually marry within though what are peoples advice, if any on meeting possible future spouses?

In my experience if you meet someone and both people like each other the following occurs;

Atheist person: why bother with all this religion stuff just do whatever you want and have fun its easier...
Protestant person: why bother with all this man made and complex rules/traditions just follow the bible...
Misc church person: what's wrong with my church, we believe in the same God and my priest says you don't need to convert just come to my church instead...
Orthodox church person: what's wrong with the mainstream church, I don't want to be some fanatical old calendarist, lets just just go with the flow...

My apologies if it seems like venting but I guess it is...

I have always been patient in my younger years that following Christ and his true church would allow me to meet someone special but as I get older the realization that this won't occur is becoming real. I will try and come to terms with the fact that most true orthodox followers that begin following the faith single will probably remain so as the mostly small parishes have small numbers of elderly faithful mostly....

Thanks and I appreciate everyones advice

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Are you in Europe, some guy ? If so that means even more difficulty as TOC parishes are small.
But please don't give up hope ! The Heavenly Queen can arrange ANYTHING at all, if you just ASK Her.
Agreed that it's VERY important to have similar outlook on spirituality. There is NO WAY I could marry an atheist, a protestant, etc on that list. Most people today don't value this question. They will almost eagerly surrender their spiritual belief system in order to forge a marriage by closing off avenues of debate. But that is highly unwise as conflict will most definitely occur a little down the line and that will serve as a catalyst for all sorts of other differences to show up. Thus a wedge is driven by the Devil between the 2, causing the marriage to falter.
If you can't find the right person, just keep waiting -- and hoping in the Mother of God. It's actually the case that many modern Orthodox don't even think of asking Her for help in vital areas of their lives. Let alone other so-called "Christians". So don't neglect this all-important remedy for every problem !

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

No not in Europe or the US...

Thanks for your inspiring words

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

You are in some exotic location then ? I am just kidding : U surely do not need to tell anyone your location.

I was going to say that I hesitantly - VERY hesitantly - ordered the World Orthodox-published book "Almost Orthodox" [Ancient Faith Publishing ]. I am skimming it quite quickly, but did see where the author's protestant prospective husband demands that she answer a list of questions : Who does she think the Savior is ? What does she think of "Mary" - said of course with disdain - like this. I was amazed that he waited so long to bring up these most essential points, until the eve of proposing.

If it were I who were considering a relationship, I would have talked about all this with the man in the very 1st discussion ! Not after a year or two. I could hardly believe that. I would not agree to spend time with any man who had different ideas on the most important subject, faith and spiritual belief.

I have not finished the book but I got at least to the place where the husband, formerly a Nazarene, then a protestant mega-church enthusiast, Vineyard participant, drops out entirely from 'organized religion'. So that was not the brightest thing the author ever did to marry a person when she was brought up deeply Catholic. [ After joining him in all these meanderings through nowhere, she finds Orthodoxy in Nashville, Tennessee. ]