Monastery Icons

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Monastery Icons

Post by Justice »

There hasn't been thread on this topic much to my surprise So I'd like to ask this:

Despite Monastery Icons unorthodox history, if the icon is blessed by an Orthodox priest, can it be venerated? I told the GOCTV that one of the icons in their church was from this place. They responded that it had been blessed by an Orthodox priest and that I seemed to be under the influence of Donatism.

Last edited by Justice on Sat 3 February 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Monastery Icons

Post by Barbara »

I will let someone knowledgeable answer that good question.

I want to say as an aside here that the founder of the monastery which produced the Monastery Icons originally, George Burke,
became Orthodox in Rocor. It was with the blessing of Archbishop Alypy of Chicago that George joined the Mid-West Diocese.

Though Burke did not remain too long in Rocor, his current website, a thoroughly Hindu one, contains an anecdote about Metropolitan Philaret of New York. This I think was the sole mention of anything Orthodox in a site devoted to highlighting similarities between Christianity and Hinduism [ I recall - it was years ago that I looked at it ]. I am going to dig up the exact quotation. The story highlights the great hierarch's innate modesty, which George Burke was insightfully able to pinpoint -- oddly, which many of today's Rocor-MP have overlooked or pretend to ignore [ doubtless under MP pressure or fear of MP disapproval ].

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

STAY AWAY FROM MONASTERY ICONS.

Their current owners are into Hinduism.

It is better to purchase icons made by our priests and bishops than to purchase them from a false monastery such as Monastery Icons.

Barbara, please remember that snake venom is only five percent poison, but that five percent can surely kill if a person does not seek immediate medical treatment. Those who purchase icons from Monastery Icons not only support paganism, but also might subject themselves to diabolic possession.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Note: Barbara's most recent post today recommending MI has been moved into the Mod forum.

It is best to stay away from Monastery Icons.

Monastery Icons sell their icons to a lot of ignorant Catholic parishes.

It is a money making operation.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.