Did Nazareth exist?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Did Nazareth exist?

Post by Justice »

Is the city we know today the same Nazareth from biblical times?

d9popov

Re: Did Nazareth exist?

Post by d9popov »

Archaeology proves that Nazareth did in fact exist at the time of Christ's life on earth. The theory that it did not is only advocated by a few crackpots. Actual scholars, even the most liberal and skeptical, accept that it existed at that time and there are ruins from that time that are being excavated now. Scholars all make fun of the crackpots who deny Nazareth's existence at that time.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

d9popov wrote:

Archaeology proves that Nazareth did in fact exist at the time of Christ's life on earth. The theory that it did not is only advocated by a few crackpots. Actual scholars, even the most liberal and skeptical, accept that it existed at that time and there are ruins from that time that are being excavated now. Scholars all make fun of the crackpots who deny Nazareth's existence at that time.

Exactly, some atheists make outlandish claims hoping that people will not research their absurd statements.

It is best to read all the books of the Old Testament as well as those of the New, to study actual church documents, and to trust our Church's traditions.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

d9popov wrote:

Thank you for your response. :)

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Quick update on this, I originally found this theory on another website. I have recently learned that this theory has been pushed by a piano instructor who tried to change the Wikipedia page for Nazareth to include his own books.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Quick update on this, I originally found this theory on another website. I have recently learned that this theory has been pushed by a piano instructor who tried to change the Wikipedia page for Nazareth to include his own books.

Lord have mercy. One cannot trust Wikipedia at all with all the fake news they post.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.