Taking cell phone pictures & videos during Divine Liturgy

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Taking cell phone pictures & videos during Divine Liturgy

Post by Justice »

It frustrates me to no end when I see congregations in True Orthodoxy taking pictures during the liturgy. In my opinion, everyone should wait after the liturgy to take photos of the clergy, not when the service is being performed and could potentially distract parishioners. besides were supposed to be focused on Christ not Pictures.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Taking cell phone pictures & videos during Divine Liturgy

Post by Maria »

I also think that taking live videos for the sick and those unable to attend the Divine Liturgy is not popular because it is so distracting. There is also the temptation for some to act out or perform for the camera rather than giving their sole attention to God. Whereas the Greek Archdiocese of America has a few parishes with live video set-ups, most Traditional Orthodox do not allow this.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:

I also think that taking live videos for the sick and those unable to attend the Divine Liturgy is not popular because it is so distracting. There is also the temptation for some to act out or perform for the camera rather than giving their sole attention to God. Whereas the Greek Archdiocese of America has a few parishes with live video set-ups, most Traditional Orthodox do not allow this.

I find that it is mostly the GOC-K that takes the most pictures (as they are the biggest TOC), though this is only from what I have observed. I also don't understand the point of livestreams for the sick. If one is truly under the weather, they should stay until they can recover. If they simply cannot make it to church, they should pray at home.

P.S. I think this is going a little off topic, maybe this should be its own thread?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Your wish is my command. :D

I have made a new thread for you, Justice, and have placed it into Inquiring into Orthodoxy

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:

I have made a new thread for you, Justice, and have placed it into Inquiring into Orthodoxy

Thank you Maria. Why has the TOC banned live-streams from churches? do they also acknowledge it doesn't benefit anyone?

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice wrote:
Maria wrote:

Thank you Maria. Why has the TOC banned live-streams from churches? do they also acknowledge it doesn't benefit anyone?

There are certainly TOC parishes that Live Stream services. Church of the Assumption in Stafford, VA which is ROCOR - Trenton comes to mind. This morning we celebrate the Feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple. Afterwards, I'll come back and comment on this "doesn't benefit anybody" line of thinking.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice wrote:

It frustrates me to no end when I see congregations in True Orthodoxy taking pictures during the liturgy. In my opinion, everyone should wait after the liturgy to take photos of the clergy, not when the service is being performed and could potentially distract parishioners. besides were supposed to be focused on Christ not Pictures.

I absolutely agree that people taking out their cell phones for photo ops during the Liturgy is in appropriate. Now, especially in larger cathedrals, there may be official photographers appointed to document certain events, but they should work unobtrusively and not disrupt the service or draw attention to themselves.

The issue of live streams of services is one that I am not sure why it should draw the level of disdain that it seems to. First, I am not speaking of a parishioner taking out their phone for a Facebook Live video or the like. That is absolutely wrong. I am also not talking about the idea that somehow watching online is an acceptable substitute for attending services. However, in many small churches, a single camera and microphone on the far wall can stream a service with no disruption to anyone. While it is not a substitute for attendance, I think it is a stretch to say that it doesn't benefit anyone. I'm sorry but hearing the hymns and the prayers can certainly benefit someone who stumbles across it. Does the efficacy of a prayer fail because it is transmitted outside the voice of the speaker? God forbid. It also can be a form of outreach, particularly to those who just have no idea what orthodoxy is.

While we certainly have to guard against the idea that we can "attend" services online (we can't - that simply is not Orthodox worship), I think it is an overreach to assume that a stream of services could never benefit anyone or serve as an outreach tool. We need to meet people where they are, and today that where is very often online. We meet them, and God willing, the Holy Spirit may bring them to our doors.