Our Lady of Guadalupe Image

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Our Lady of Guadalupe Image

Post by Justice »

Cyprian wrote:
Justice wrote:

I've heard that the Our lady of Guadalupe image despite being a western Icon, is acceptable in Orthodoxy. I've even heard that the image was accepted by the Orthodox accepted the image before Rome. Is this true? and can I venerate it?

You should be asking yourself why you feel so compelled to want to venerate it in the first place. Are there not enough venerable Orthodox icons for you to venerate that you must resort to Latin ones?

No, you should not venerate it.

I never felt the need to venerate the icon, I heard that it was accepted as a valid Icon by the Orthodox in the 16th century. I just wanted to check if this was true or if it was ecumenism.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

You say you heard it was accepted by the Orthodox. Heard it from who? We must consider the source of this claim.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Cyprian wrote:

You say you heard it was accepted by the Orthodox. Heard it from who? We must consider the source of this claim.

A layman over on another forum. I can't find any evidence for his claims so i'll consider them to be bogus.