Is Western Rite Orthodoxy heretical?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Is Western Rite Orthodoxy heretical?

Post by Justice »

From what I've heard in the United States, when some Roman Catholic Churches convert to Orthodoxy, they retain the Latin rite but convert it to be Orthodox. This has been debated for a long time and I was wondering, what is the True Orthodox opinion on Western Rite Orthodox? I personally think we should revive the pre-western rite.

St John of San Francisco seems to have celebrated with them.

Justice
Sr Member

Re: Is Western Rite Orthodoxy heretical?

Post by Justice »

According to the Western-Rite website, St John of San Francisco was in Paris France when they were celebrating. It also appears, that these weren't Roman Catholics or Anglicans that kept the Western-Rite to attract people to their church, but we're a s ct of ROCOR that wanted to preserve the pre-schism Western-Rite. I'm saddened that all of the Western-Rite parishes went along with the ROCOR-MP Union of 2007 I quite like the idea of a Western-Rite True Orthodox Church. Though I hroughout the True Orthodox community, it seems that most people only accept the Eastern-Rite as Orthodox.

Edit: I remembered about Met John's synod which uses the Western-Rite though I still hope it will spread.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

According to the Western-Rite website, St John of San Francisco was in Paris France when they were celebrating. It also appears, that these weren't Roman Catholics or Anglicans that kept the Western-Rite to attract people to their church, but we're a s ct of ROCOR that wanted to preserve the pre-schism Western-Rite. I'm saddened that all of the Western-Rite parishes went along with the ROCOR-MP Union of 2007 I quite like the idea of a Western-Rite True Orthodox Church. Though I hroughout the True Orthodox community, it seems that most people only accept the Eastern-Rite as Orthodox.

Edit: I remembered about Met John's synod which uses the Western-Rite though I still hope it will spread.

Met. John was in communion with the GOC-A for several years.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

Interesting, what made them fall out of communion?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

Interesting, what made them fall out of communion?

That has been discussed in the private forum: Intra-Polemics

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.