Should I say G-d?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Should I say G-d?

Post by Justice »

I found out that the tradition of dressing God's name isn't started in Rabbinical Judaism, Instead I found out that the ancient Israelites were using it to address God so is it ok to say G-d or does that go under the name worshiping heresy.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Should I say G-d?

Post by Luke »

Do you mean the Tetragrammaton or the English translation of Elohim?

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Luke wrote:

Do you mean the Tetragrammaton or the English translation of Elohim?

I mean should I spell G-d or is that name worshipping?

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Let me ask you a question, and I think it is a helpful way to think of things. Protestants often accuse Orthodox of worshiping icons. Yet, I have never once met an Orthodox person who is even slightly confused about whether or not that icon is God. They may honor the image (actually the honor passes to that which is depicted), but they have no confusion at all about Who they worship - the triune God.

Now if you say or write God, are you at all confused about whether that word uttered from your human lips,or written with your human hand is in fact God, in either essence or energies? I would imagine that you are not the least bit confused and would never mistake a written or uttered word for God. Thus, it seems very improbable that you would then worship that word.

Look at the writings of the Fathers. See how many times the word God is used. And as an aside, why should a Christian feel bound by Jewish custom regarding addressing God? Judaizing has been rebuked and rejected from the first days of the Church.

Take comfort, Justice, that you humbly can approach our Lord and call him your God without any concerns over this matter.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thank you, Father, for your very clear explanation. It is simple yet profound.

Sometimes, less is best.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.