Should Christians say Allah?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Should Christians say Allah?

Post by Justice »

I know that Arab Christians say Allah, but since it comes from Islam, should Orthodox Christians say it?

Agios_Irineos

Re: Should Christians say Allah?

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice wrote:

I know that Arab Christians say Allah, but since it comes from Islam, should Orthodox Christians say it?

It doesn't come from Islam. There is evidence of pre-Islamic Christian use of Allah to refer to God.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Really? I just read a thing about how the early Christians and Jews used to refer to Moses as Muhammed, I guess it all comes from Judaic roots.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

How do they get muhammed from Moshe?

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Luke wrote:

How do they get Muhammed from Moshe?

Muhammed means "the anointed one" the Jews used it for Moses describing him being chosen by God.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice wrote:

Really? I just read a thing about how the early Christians and Jews used to refer to Moses as Muhammed, I guess it all comes from Judaic roots.

I had not heard that, not that I have looked into it or not. Interesting, but considering that the Church precedes Islam by many centuries, it would be best to follow the tradition of the Church without concern. The Church in the middle east was Orthodox for many centuries after Islam before ecumenism swept in. If the use of Allah was based on Islam, I am confident that it would have been condemned. Since that didn't happen, it is certainly not for us to do so.