Should we let kids watch movies or play video games?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Should we let kids watch movies or play video games?

Post by Justice »

Since some movies and video games have magic in them (or other related things), should we let kids watch them? or should we let them watch them because they're not real?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Should we let kids watch movies or play video games?

Post by Maria »

Generally, no. We should not let our children watch TV, play Internet games, or watch movies, as these forms of distraction can be the basis for our nightmares and daily temptations, but more importantly, they can present a real spiritual challenge for us as use of subliminal messages can persuade us to let down our guard. How often do we watch things over the screens that encourage us to see with our eyes, and hear with our ears, things that would embarrass our angels? Not only are the Media and our public schools involved in programming us to accept the use of any and all pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, helium, and illegal drugs, the lowest forms of sexual deviancy, narcissistic and arrogant behaviors, and psychotic criminal behaviors, but also these Internet videos, movies, and TV programming trigger fears and anxieties that prevent us from trusting and believing in God.

Hollywood and the entertainment industry have been controlled for many years by the dark satanic side. Visit the private political forum where you will see some startling revelations concerning this. Even Disney is not good entertainment as there are too many occult symbols used in their productions.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Excellent explanation. I see it that so much evil is embedded in these various forms of 'entertainment' that the viewer habituates to receiving daily inputs of dark things. That way, the viewer doesn't realize how far off he becomes from a peaceful, serene state of mind and soul. It's gradual so the difference is not noticed.

I'll say that even watching Sister Vassa's first video, I was curious to see what it was about. But I find that it's difficult to listen to any speaker even on decent subjects unless that person has a substantial level of purity in the soul. I never returned to the nun's series. I would MUCH RATHER read a book or an essay as a way of learning than listen to a person lecturing on youtube. The written word precludes the presence of a person, so allows me to concentrate and receive the information well. But when hearing a person, unless they are very special, deliver a lecture, I feel uncomfortable often, depending on the speaker.

But the forces that control culture in this part of the world have arranged it so that the populace is trained to listen to the explanations of humans rather than the old-fashioned method of reading. In fact, the inability to read has become epidemic partly as a result of this and partly due to the factors leading to the prevalence of ADD or ADHD in all age groups.
People are now so often unable to even HEAR what you say to them on a one to one basis. Their minds are confused, unable to take in information successfully. They barely listen to you but are almost desperate to talk quite endlessly about themselves !
Americans are STARVED for attention.

So, I recommend staying away from lectures online. Perhaps videos explaining how to do some task are useful. But so much of the time people who deliver lectures on youtube are too egotistical and hence are unhealthy to spend your precious time listening to. Better to research at a library, in my opinion, as a way to imbibe information.

You can imagine I never ever look at news of any type. The news teams are usually wildly inappropriately dressed if a woman and if a man, too slick and phony to be taken seriously. It's not good for the soul and the eyes to watch such unpleasant people for even a minute of your day.

We have to assume that nearly all programming is just that - programming of the population. Rarely does real news get released.

I went farther than your question, Justice, from kids to all ages. Certainly kids should be steered clear of ALL 'popular culture' manifestations, period. If the latest is a dinosaur movie with all the T-shirts and games that are produced to add to the profits, one should have their children AVOID all such corny things altogether. I may have mentioned this once earlier here, but I remember when suddenly even the US Post Office put some disgusting looking thing on their BOXES ! It was such a creepy monster that I could not wrap packages without taping over that ugly thing ! I think it was called Arachne-man. That's just a way of avoiding saying the actual name. If anyone remembers Greek mythology, they will easily figure it out.

So all these video games, movies, etc. today are linked into a massive industry of producing adjunct materials to cash in on.
It's important to avoid the ENTIRE SCENE. If the child feels left out of what his peers are interested in, it's an exercise in being mature and not 'running with the crowd' but maintaining independence of mind and spirit.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Excellent explanation. I see it that so much evil is embedded in these various forms of 'entertainment' that the viewer habituates to receiving daily inputs of dark things. That way, the viewer doesn't realize how far off he becomes from a peaceful, serene state of mind and soul. It's gradual so the difference is not noticed.

I'll say that even watching Sister Vassa's first video, I was curious to see what it was about. But I find that it's difficult to listen to any speaker even on decent subjects unless that person has a substantial level of purity in the soul. I never returned to the nun's series. I would MUCH RATHER read a book or an essay as a way of learning than listen to a person lecturing on youtube. The written word precludes the presence of a person, so allows me to concentrate and receive the information well. But when hearing a person, unless they are very special, deliver a lecture, I feel uncomfortable often, depending on the speaker.

But the forces that control culture in this part of the world have arranged it so that the populace is trained to listen to the explanations of humans rather than the old-fashioned method of reading. In fact, the inability to read has become epidemic partly as a result of this and partly due to the factors leading to the prevalence of ADD or ADHD in all age groups.
People are now so often unable to even HEAR what you say to them on a one to one basis. Their minds are confused, unable to take in information successfully. They barely listen to you but are almost desperate to talk quite endlessly about themselves !
Americans are STARVED for attention.

So, I recommend staying away from lectures online. Perhaps videos explaining how to do some task are useful. But so much of the time people who deliver lectures on youtube are too egotistical and hence are unhealthy to spend your precious time listening to. Better to research at a library, in my opinion, as a way to imbibe information.

You can imagine I never ever look at news of any type. The news teams are usually wildly inappropriately dressed if a woman and if a man, too slick and phony to be taken seriously. It's not good for the soul and the eyes to watch such unpleasant people for even a minute of your day.

We have to assume that nearly all programming is just that - programming of the population. Rarely does real news get released.

I went farther than your question, Justice, from kids to all ages. Certainly kids should be steered clear of ALL 'popular culture' manifestations, period. If the latest is a dinosaur movie with all the T-shirts and games that are produced to add to the profits, one should have their children AVOID all such corny things altogether. I may have mentioned this once earlier here, but I remember when suddenly even the US Post Office put some disgusting looking thing on their BOXES ! It was such a creepy monster that I could not wrap packages without taping over that ugly thing ! I think it was called Arachne-man. That's just a way of avoiding saying the actual name. If anyone remembers Greek mythology, they will easily figure it out.

So all these video games, movies, etc. today are linked into a massive industry of producing adjunct materials to cash in on.
It's important to avoid the ENTIRE SCENE. If the child feels left out of what his peers are interested in, it's an exercise in being mature and not 'running with the crowd' but maintaining independence of mind and spirit.

Thank you Barbara, I admit I struggle with the temptations of secular society (mostly movies) but I'm getting better as my spiritual journey progresses.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:

Generally, no. We should not let our children watch TV, play Internet games, or watch movies, as these forms of distraction can be the basis for our nightmares and daily temptations, but more importantly, they can present a real spiritual challenge for us as use of subliminal messages can persuade us to let down our guard. How often do we watch things over the screens that encourage us to see with our eyes, and hear with our ears, things that would embarrass our angels? Not only are the Media and our public schools involved in programming us to accept the use of any and all pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, helium, and illegal drugs, the lowest forms of sexual deviancy, narcissistic and arrogant behaviors, and psychotic criminal behaviors, but also these Internet videos, movies, and TV programming trigger fears and anxieties that prevent us from trusting and believing in God.

Hollywood and the entertainment industry have been controlled for many years by the dark satanic side. Visit the private political forum where you will see some startling revelations concerning this. Even Disney is not good entertainment as there are too many occult symbols used in their productions.

Agreed, if I recall I saw a post by Cyprian, he said even though the tale of Arthur and Merlin was preparing everyone for the AntiChrist, as long as people knew that it was ok.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Justice, you sound like you are making efforts to break away from the current ways of society. That is GREAT !
Keep continuing so that you can succeed in establishing a clarity of mind which will last for your entire life. I remember you just turned 16, so now is the time for forming the best habits.

This remark may not be popular, and may raise eyebrows. However, I feel sure that the frightening increase of people with Alzheimers disease and other related mental conditions in North America is due to the bombardment by so much base programming through TV, media and really EVERY SINGLE MOVIE made today.

You might want to think about 'clearing out' your brain now before taking in any more of this muddy bog of dark programming !
It will stand you in good stead over the long haul.

I just heard of a wife aged about 80 being taken away from her husband, having been diagnosed with some mental deterioration condition like this. He has no jurisdiction over her whatsoever : the state 'owns' her. Upon the tests being conducted, she was instantly put into some kind of home. The poor distraught elderly man is selling his house and moving out of state, since he is powerless to do anything to stop this. One minute she was picking flowers in the garden ; the next minute clapped into an assisted living or some place like this for Alzheimers patients. [ Has anyone else heard of anything like this ? I was shocked at how the system operates today, if this story is any example. ] Best to stay away from all forms of media !

Do you remember what Cyprian meant about the Arthurian story as preparing people for the AntiChrist ? In that story, the evil character was Mordred, son of the witchy Morgan Le Fay. Shiver, shiver.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Let me be even bolder and add the following. Today I was stopped at a light when a truck went by right in front of me. The sign on its side read "TVCOFFEE.COM".

I thought "This must be a clue regarding this thread. Probably not only the TV programming but that combined with the drinking of coffee -- so prevalent in America -- which causes this mental deterioration"

Coffee fans will find a way to ignore or cancel this out, but I think the idea is worth considering. Surely the coffee industry is so powerful that any findings to this effect would be stamped out immediately. It's indisputable that coffee interferes with the nervous system, such as in 'coffee jitters'. So why is it much of a stretch to envision that coffee erodes or destroys the brain's pathways and synapses ? Or does other neural damage ?

So Justice, I hope you are a tea drinker, if you consume any of the popular beverages ! Tea is civilized, where coffee is so rough.