Why some of the SSPX supporters converted to Orthodoxy?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
anthony1986
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Eparchy of Korsun

Post by anthony1986 »

The SSPX is the traditional Catholic priestly society that against Vatican II and the reformed after Vatican II.
SSPX has strong love for Traditional Latin Rite. They consider Orthodox Christians as schismatics.
They against ecumenism and sincerely believe that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation.
They know that after Vatican II the Roman Catholic Church is in seriously errors.
However, there are some converts in Orthodox Church used to be the SSPX supporters.
How do they realize that the Roman Catholic Church is not the true church, and the Orthodox Church is the true church?

How do the converts from SSPX background overcome the fear of eternal damnation ? And the Catholic doctrines that they believe so sincerely like papal infallibility and supremacy are false?

Agios_Irineos

Re: Why some of the SSPX supporters converted to Orthodoxy?

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Wow, that is a lot packed into one post! Welcome, Anthony.

I did not come from Catholicism but from Lutheranism to Orthodoxy. But I knew I needed to find the Apostolic Church. It did not take me long to figure out that I would either need to be Latin Catholic or Orthodox. For me, history and theology became my guides, and it was readily apparent that things like papal infallibility, papal supremacy, immaculate conception were recent innovations not found in the early Church. That made the ultimate decision much easier, though it took more of a process to find the Genuine Orthodox Church. I never had a fear of damnation because I was never Roman Catholic, but I would suggest that once the false doctrine is torn away, the false consequences tend to fall away as well.

You will be in my prayers for your journey home.

anthony1986
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Eparchy of Korsun

Post by anthony1986 »

Thank you very much Father Irineos.
I have the serious doubt about papal infallibility and papal supremacy even when I was teenager.
Right now I am praying and studying theology and church history to find out the original true christian church.

God bless you, Father Irineos.

sedevacantist
Jurisdiction: Traditional Catholic

Post by sedevacantist »

where did you see ex SSPX'ers convert to orthodoxy? you must believe everything the Catholic Church teaches pre Vatican 2...papal supremacy, filioque etx to be saved..there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

sedevacantist wrote:

where did you see ex SSPX'ers convert to orthodoxy? you must believe everything the Catholic Church teaches pre Vatican 2...papal supremacy, filioque etx to be saved..there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church

Wrong but continue...

sedevacantist
Jurisdiction: Traditional Catholic

Post by sedevacantist »

not wrong, it's a dogma of the Catholic Church that there is no salvation outside the Church, if you don't believe in papal supremacy, the filioque you can't consider yourself a Catholic

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

sedevacantist wrote:

not wrong, it's a dogma of the Catholic Church that there is no salvation outside the Church, if you don't believe in papal supremacy, the filioque you can't consider yourself a Catholic

And that matters to me as an Orthodox Christian, why? We reject papal supremacy. We know the filioque to be heretical innovation. I'm not real clear on why you are here, other than apparently to proselytize your error further. While I can sympathize with your frustration with the modern RC church, just going back to the pre-Vat2 days isn't going to erase the fruits of the post-schism error.

I'll leave it to the admin here, but it strikes me as HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE to come onto an Orthodox forum, and threaten a Latin catholic inquiring into Orthodoxy with eternal damnation unless he accepts your heresies. Particularly in a sub-forum for inquiring into Orthodoxy.