Should Men and Women wear Piercings?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Should Men and Women wear Piercings?

Post by Justice »

Since god commands us not to mutilate our body, should Orthodox women (and men to some extent) wear earrings or any other type of piercing?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Should Men and Women wear Piercings?

Post by Maria »

No.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Should Men and Women wear Piercings?

Post by Barbara »

Normal earrings are fine, right ? Just not those horrific ones. It's getting worse and worse.

This summer I see that there are hardly any people without these nasty markings ! Some are so elaborate too that it's nauseating to have to look at. But with the warm weather, people are out in tank tops which expose these markings.

There was an article in an Idaho newspaper saying that the process can lead to death if some rules for the first 24 hours are not followed.
The ink gets through the skin and I guess enters the bloodstream, causing fatalities. I didn't pay much attention so I have no details. I don't want to focus on such a creepy phenomenon.

The article, however, was not a warning against the entire process as I wish it would have been. The piece sounded pro-markings. It merely alerted new customers to be careful to follow the rules.