Why follow a calendar made by a pagan? Response

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Why follow a calendar made by a pagan? Response

Post by Justice »

What would the response be to a New Calendarist when they ask the following, "Why do you follow a calendar made by a pagan when the other was made by a Christian?".

Agios_Irineos

Re: Why follow a calendar made by a pagan? Response

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice wrote:

What would the response be to a New Calendarist when they ask the following, "Why do you follow a calendar made by a pagan when the other was made by a Christian?".

My response would be to look at them quizzically since they obviously don't understand the issue they are trying to talk about.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Why follow a calendar made by a pagan? Response

Post by Maria »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:
Justice wrote:

My response would be to look at them quizzically since they obviously don't understand the issue they are trying to talk about.

Precisely, as the Gregorian Calendar of 1582 A.D. was propagated by a schismatic and heretical Roman Catholic Pope, and this Gregorian calendar was condemned by the Orthodox Christians as heretical, not just once, but several times. Remember too that the Great Schism occurred in 1054 A.D, so 1582 was more than 500 years after this Great Schism.

For a more in depth analysis, please take the time to study this document published by the GOC-K.
It will answer all your questions concerning the Old and the New Calendar and why the New Calendar was
repeatedly condemned by Orthodox Christians.
http://hotca.org/orthodoxy/orthodox-awa ... r-question

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.