Are Oriental Icons acceptable in True Orthodoxy?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Are Oriental Icons acceptable in True Orthodoxy?

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

I have doubts on the last one as I've heard the way Christ fingers are portrayed represents Monophysitism, is this true? Also I'm still getting used to the fact that it's ok to venerate icons made by Roman Catholics and Monophysites, but I'll get used to it in time.

Certain "icons" made by Roman Catholics are not to be venerated, such as ones depicting Martin Luther, Teresa of Calcutta, John-Paul II, Francis of Assisi, etc. These are post-schism people, and certainly not saints recognized by the Orthodox Church.

Of course, I meant icons made by Roman Catholics for Orthodox practice.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Justice wrote:
d9popov wrote:

If you currently own an “Oriental Orthodox” icon and it is Orthodox in content, you might be able to venerate it. But if a church or person wants to purchase an icon, they should focus on the most-traditional Orthodox styles,

In reality I hope many True Orthodox churches in the Middle East or Africa (if there are any) should use the Coptic style as it was used before the Monophysite schism. I see nothing wrong with it.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

I'll stick to venerating traditional icons for now, I don't wish to violate any rules.