Why should I pick the True Orthodox?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Why should I pick the True Orthodox?

Post by Justice »

Hi Everyone,

I was originally looking into the OO And Still Deciding whether of not to join the GOC could someone give me a list of reasons to persuade me to stay with the TOC?

In Christ,
Justice

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Why should I pick the True Orthodox?

Post by Maria »

Welcome, Justice.

I believe that True Orthodoxy does not compromise the faith. We are not ecumenists as are the Copts and Armenians.

Since this topic of discussion would fit much better in Inquiring into Orthodoxy, I am moving it there.

In Christ,
Maria
Administrator

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice,

I don't know if I have a list or if thinking of this as some kind of evidentiary test is truly the correct way to approach the Faith. Here is a very succinct thought, though.

The faith was once delivered to the saints (Jude 1:3). This is extremely important for people to remember. There is no second delivery. There is no new revelation. New dogma is not discovered. It is preserved within the Church, which is the pillar and ground of the Truth. (1 Timothy 3:15). Following the conciliar model of Acts 15, disputes over the faith have been settled in Ecumenical Council, guided by the Holy Spirit. Those who depart from the decisions of the Ecumenical Councils are outside the Church. It is not a "misunderstanding." It is not a "language issue." It is not semantics.

The Oriental Orthodox departed the faith following the Council of Chalcedon. Having failed to accept Chalcedon or the subsequent council, they are, however will intended, outside of the Church. To be sure, modernism and ecumenism have resulted in many people falsely trying to reconcile non-Chalcedonian belief with Orthodoxy. However, even reading modern treatises by Oriental Orthodox priests, writing in English as a native language, it is clear that they do not accept Chalcedon or mirror the teaching of the Council that Christ is of "Two Natures unconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the difference of the Natures being in no way removed because of the Union, but rather the properties of each Nature being preserved, and (both) concurring into One Person and One Hypostasis."

Your choice is between the Church and not the Church.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Thank you Maria and HieromonkIrineos for your response,

As you can probably tell from my profile, I have decided to join the GOC under his eminence archbishop Kallinikos of Athens and all Greece! :D

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Thank you Maria and HieromonkIrineos for your response,

As you can probably tell from my profile, I have decided to join the GOC under his eminence archbishop Kallinikos of Athens and all Greece! :D

That is a very good move, Justice.

Have you contacted a parish priest in the GOC-K?

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

I tried a few days ago but couldn't get ahold of them. I'll try again in a few days.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Most of the priests in True Orthodox must have a secular job in order to support themselves and their family.

Send them an email or call them and then be patient. If they do not respond in a week or two, then contact them again.

Better yet, you might just show up at their next Divine Liturgy. That is the best move as they will be expecting you.