Non-Christian Inquirer

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Non-Christian Inquirer

Post by Barbara »

Then we can understand better how very well Fr Irineos is doing. Father has taken a lot of initative ; he has a nice website and produces internet videos about Orthodoxy. It's impressive.

I didn't realize about the demographics in Austin. Nor did I know El Paso is small. I thought it was a booming metropolis !

I quite agree about a large Catholic population base being vastly more helpful. Catholics are sympathetic to Orthodoxy to start with. Unlike Protestants who argue about every last thing. It's tiresome to explain. I could not EVER do that myself. Those who have the patience to take on that podvig deserve praise.

With the increasing pace of abominations in the Vatican II Church, a steady stream of disillusioned Catholics will be likely to discover Orthodoxy.

So you are already attending a Greek Church ? I didn't realize that. You want to hurry, then, to find an ideal setting for your True Orthodox budding parish. The GOA is too liberal ; you don't want to linger there longer than necessary.

By the way, did you feel comfortable to say "Christ Is Risen" and exchange the Paschal greeting with the parishioners ?

Why does your wife want to go a bigger city ? Philadelphia might be a little overwhelming, but the name is of course New Testament !

fschmidt
Faith: Old Testament

Post by fschmidt »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

We enjoyed your visit. Best of luck on your search!

Thank you. Do you know any True Orthodox churches in Philadelphia? Or do you know of any True Orthodox priests interested in starting a new church?

fschmidt

Post by fschmidt »

Barbara,

City size is relative. My wife and I lived in San Francisco, New York, and Tokyo. By comparison, El Paso is small.

I attended Greek Orthodox church for a while but then stopped.

I don't feel comfortable saying "Christ Is Risen". I attended one Easter service and decided that this isn't something appropriate for me. The Sunday liturgy does feel appropriate, with its emphasis on God.

My wife likes the shopping and social opportunities in big cities. And we both like the variety of ethnic food.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Dear FSchmidt,

Many Orthodox Priests have told me (a convert from Roman Catholicism) that converting from Catholicism to Orthodoxy is very difficult for most Roman Catholics precisely because of the Papacy, and these priest were proven to be correct. The more educated a Catholic is, the more difficult it is for them. Since I was in a Roman Catholic monastery studying to become a nun, and since I also attended a Catholic college, that was a double whammy!

However, attending the Melkite Eastern Catholic Church while I was inquiring into Holy Orthodoxy was a huge asset because I was able to experience the Byzantine Divine Liturgy and the full cycle of "Orthodox Catholic" services such as Vespers, the Akathist hymn, and the Paraclesis to the Theotokos during those three years. I loved those services, read many books written by Orthodox Priests, and went to retreats sponsored by the Antiochian and Serbian Orthodox parishes, and so becoming Orthodox was easier for me. Once that stumbling block of being obedient to the Pope was removed, then all the other Papal doctrines fell like dominoes in a chain reaction. However, my classmates in the Orthodox catechumen did not fare so well. Of the five in my class, three returned to Catholicism after renouncing the Pope because they felt tremendous guilt, but they did not return to the Novus Ordo under Pope Francis, instead they joined a sedevacantist Traditional Catholic sect. They were miserable and guilt-laden, and I gradually lost contact with them over the years.

On the contrary, I have known quite a few devout Roman Catholics who have studied Orthodoxy for many years, but who have never joined her, because they, in all honesty, could not renounce the Pope, and because they feared going to Hell if they did renounce the doctrines and dogmas of Roman Catholicism. Although these people remain my friends, it is a somewhat strained relationship as their priests have told them repeatedly that they really should not have any more contact with me, an Orthodox Christian, since I am considered to be an apostate by Rome. On the one hand, my friends continue to contact me in hopes that they can convert me back to Roman Catholicism. On the other hand, they are like moths attracted to the Pure Light of Holy Orthodoxy, and this struggle has been going on for 20 years now. All I can do is to pray for them.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Maria, you mean the more educated the Catholics were about Catholicism, right ? Catholics who know their faith take it seriously, and would indeed find it difficult to change to Orthodox. Maybe it's a tiny step-by tiny step process which could take a long time.

I think one important piece of advice for Orthodox clergy and laity is to be kind to such Catholic seekers. Not to archly tell them things that will obviously put them off - especially accusatory statements regarding the Church of Rome - but to find congenial topics to discuss in a RELAXED WAY. Otherwise, Catholics who are well-versed in their faith will head for the hills - and never look back.

In sum, it's essential to be diplomatic rather than confrontational.

I see also that there are many more sticking points than just the role of the Pope. For example, in the baptism ceremony, the Catholic catechumen must use harsh language about the Catholic Church and say that he or she renounces all of that. This could be why the milder-flavored jurisdictions attract more Catholics by far than the tougher ones like TOC's - or even Rocor-Mp or the MP itself.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

fschmidt,

Yes I certainly understand why you would want to go to a larger city. I did see a Pennsylvania license plate today, a rarity in my part of the country. It might be the first time I have seen one at all here, for I noted the nice colors stood out as harmonious.

I did notice that there is one TOC mission in Texas which we haven't mentioned, in case you stay there.
It is listed currently as under Bishop Stefan, who broke away from the RTOC of Archbishop Tikhon of Omsk.
Here is the contact information :

Saint Paisius Velichkovsky Orthodox Mission

200 East College Avenue
Clarksville, Texas 75426, USA
Telephone: (903) 427-5460

Father James H. Ogden

What about a nearer fairly large urban area such as Albuquerque ? Your wife and you will find all the amenities there and you won't have to leave the warmer weather. Those New England storms are so fierce many years. Why put up with all the feet of snow ??

PS - A story appeared in the national news today just after your posts about a National Guardsman flying from El Paso to Austin. He was charged $ 200 for one suitcase by United Airlines. It was ironic to see these 2 cities pop up like that right after your posts here !
Here is the link in case anyone might benefit from hearing how strict the airlines are these days. Such a change from older times when there was no limit on the number of suitcases, at least on international flights. If any weight restrictions per bag, these were generous.
Now look at the difference : http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-ne ... 0202-story

fschmidt

Post by fschmidt »

Barbara,

Thank you but the distance from me to Clarksville, Texas is about the same as from Boise to San Francisco, a little far. Albuquerque is much closer but my wife doesn't want to live there. Still, if you know of a church in Albuquerque, at least it would be close enough for us to drive to visit it.

Pennsylvania is south of New England with milder weather. I went to university in Philadelphia, so at least I know the city.