How would I go about becoming Orthodox?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Madison Grant
Jr Member

Re: How would I go about becoming Orthodox?

Post by Madison Grant »

Maria wrote:
Madison Grant wrote:

Hi Maria,

My apologies for coming off the wrong way in my attempt at breaking in Earl on the players at the table using terminology and lingo that would be readily understandable or engaging to him.

Thank you for the information on Kyrikos as I rarely see that name in the Polemics subforum.

Thank you. If Earl wants admission to the Intra-TOC Polemics subforum, I can grant him access as he is now seriously looking into Orthodoxy. Just PM me for access, okay?

Feel free to start an informational thread on Kyrikos in that private Polemics subforum, but please be aware that all the rules apply, and that we cannot attack each other, and that we must try to be truthful.

Hi Maria,

No hurt feelings here as I understand you are the admin of the board and it's your duty to enforce the regulations and customs to keep a tight ship, lest CafeMaria sinks.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

And after exchanging greetings it's time to get back to Earl and his journey:

Earl,

From the book recommendations, 40 volumes in all, I've chosen the following that will help you out in two ways: understanding the concept of deification and understanding the concept of church.

This following book is by the 7th century theologian named Saint Maximus the Confessor. He will teach you about deification - the partaking of the divine nature spoken of by Saint Peter the Apostle in his second epistle.

http://www.svspress.com/on-the-cosmic-m ... us-christ/ On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ.

The last half of the twentieth century saw the establishment of the reputation of St Maximus the Confessor as the greatest of all Byzantine theologians, with a wholeness of vision that speaks directly to many of our concerns today. Until very recently, however, little of his work has been available in English translation, save for some collections of brief reflections arranged in centuries and a few brief treatises, too easily classified as "spirituality." This volume provides translations from St Maximus, two main collections of theological reflections, his Ambigua (or Difficulties) and his Questions to Thalassius, plus one of his Christological opuscula, hitherto unavailable in English.

Code: Select all

The translations are accompanied by immensely helpful notes, and prefaced by a long, brilliant introduction to the theology of the Confessor. This is the ideal volume from which to learn at first hand the depth and insight of St Maximus' cosmic vision and grasp of the complexities of human nature, as he patiently explores the nature and consequences of the renewal of all things in Christ. Robert Wilken and Paul Blowers have put us all deeply in their debt.

The following theologian is named Saint Cyprian of Carthage from the 3rd century, which happened to be before the first ecumenical council called by the first Christian Emperor: Constantine. He will teach you about church - what it is and who is in it. You've heard the Feeneyites, I'm sure, mouthing off about Outside The Catholic Church No Salvation; well, this maxim belongs to Saint Cyprian's body of work.

This is a 2 volume set of work:

http://www.svspress.com/on-the-church-s ... -carthage/ On the Church - Select Treatises: St. Cyprian of Carthage
http://www.svspress.com/on-the-church-s ... -carthage/ On the Church - Select Letters: St. Cyprian of Carthage

St Cyprian, third-century bishop of Carthage, developed a theory of church unity almost universally accepted up to the European Reformation: to be a member of the Body of Christ you needed to be in communion with a priest who was in communion with a bishop who in turn was in communion with all other bishops in the world. But, how could you discern who was a legitimate bishop? And, on what kind of issue would it be right to break off communion? Additionally, could self-authenticating ministries, like those of martyrs and confessors who had suffered for the faith, supersede this order? Finally, did the Church need, and in what form, a universal bishop who could guarantee the integrity of the network of bishops?

St Cyprian wrestled with these questions in his letters and treatises, selected and translated in these companion volumes. Each volume contains an introduction to the two principal controversies that spurred St Cyprian to write his defense on church unity: first, the readmission to the Eucharist of those Christians who had lapsed or fallen in the persecution under Emperor Decius; and second, the sacramental validity of baptism in heretical and schismatic communities.

They are questions that continue to arise in various forms in the contemporary Church, and thus, these companion volumes are of ultimate value to the state of current Christendom.

These two theologians of the patristic age should get your feet wet, and should you like the water, then plunge right in for a swim.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Earl,

There are many wonderful writings out there. There are some not so good. However, none of them will make you Orthodox.

The Church does not meet for worship in the library, nor is she a book club. If you are interested in becoming Orthodox what you must do is find a parish to worship at, or if there is nothing near you to attend regularly, a spiritual father who can guide you remotely and meet with you at least a couple of times a year in person when you can go to a parish. This should be your first effort.

Be very careful of those jurisdictions in communion with the "ecumenical patriarch" as they have fled the true faith for ecumenism and modernism. Finding a Genuine Orthodox parish is more difficult, but it is the only way to assure you are truly in the Church.