How would I go about becoming Orthodox?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Earl Of Devonshire
Jurisdiction: Plymouth, Devonshire, England

How would I go about becoming Orthodox?

Post by Earl Of Devonshire »

Hi everyone! So i've read a bit into Orthodoxy recently (mostly like wiki). And I stumbled on this website and I was wondering. How do I join the Orthodox Church?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: How would I go about becoming Orthodox?

Post by Maria »

Welcome to E Cafe.

And you have come to the right place as we are traditional Orthodox Christians who are holding onto the unchanging Holy Faith taught by Christ God to His Apostles in an unchanging Holy Tradition.

Yes, we are small in number, but Christ did advise us that there would only be a small remnant left when He comes again. Most of us believe that these times are perilous and that Christ will come again very soon. When? We do not know, but several of our recent holy saints have prophecized that Christ would come most likely within our generation. With this race toward a one world religion by the world religious leaders, particularly Francis and Bartholomew, perhaps sometime before 2025 we might behold Christ coming again in Glory. Come Lord Jesus.

Read this biography below, which will give you information concerning the beginning of the struggle to resist the efforts of the Freemasons who imposed unilaterally and uncanonically the New Calendar upon the Greeks, Finland, Antioch, and the Americas. Thankfully, while Russia and other countries have resisted these New Calendarists, unfortunately, they and the entire world have fallen for Freemasonic agenda of Ecumenism and Modernism.
http://genuineorthodoxchurch.com/The_Li ... fessor.pdf

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

Hi Earl,

I recognize that name.

This is a Matthewite forum in the same vein that CathInfo is a SSPX Resistance forum, and so things presented will be tilted with that world view.

I will point to you a series of videos from a biased source that is antagonistic towards everyone on this message board, but will bring you up to speed in terms of the history of the last 100 years.

Hopefully Maria doesn't mind:
http://www.trueorthodoxy.org/videos.shtml

Maria has put up a thread with weblinks to the various synods and jurisdictions within True Orthodoxy:
http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=10260

You are in Britain? Maria linked a website for you that is under a Matthewite synod and jurisdiction, namely His Beatitude Kirykos, that just so happens to have a presence in Britain: http://www.orthodoxyinbritain.com/#!contact-us/c24vq

Defining Key Terms

A Synod of Bishops and a Canonical Jurisdiction is likened to the 3 bishops within the SSPX. A Synod is a group of bishops in communion with each other and a Jurisdiction is a group or territory subject to those bishops.

The difference between the Lefebvrians and Thucites in their Papolatry and Mariolatry is that they cannot exist lawfully without their head, namely the Pope, because the Roman Catholic faith is Popery; and, with the orthodox christian faith, however, that is not the case of having a Supreme Pontiff ruling over and dictating decrees to every other bishop within a synod and jurisdiction, and even less so in interfering within another synod and jurisdiction.

The Lefebvrians and the Thucs are the right wingers in the Independent Catholic Movement that are not subject to the Pope, whether or not they name him in the Canon of the Mass makes no difference at all as they still refuse to submit to lawful authority, while the left wingers are those who also derive their Apostolic Succession from the Roman Catholic Church; but, who are also not subject to the Pope, and usually lean to the left of him doctrinally speaking.

Independent Catholic churches are Christian groups, particularly small groups, led by bishops and identifying with Catholic tradition but not in communion with the Roman Catholic Church or with any other churches whose sacraments are recognized by the Roman Catholic Church

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independe ... c_churches

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

For a Catechism there is nothing better than the Patristic sources: these would be the accepted Church Fathers.

You can do a search on Amazon for "Popular Patristics Series" or you can visit the publisher directly at:

http://www.svspress.com/categories/Popu ... cs-Series/

The Popular Patristics series is comprised of more than 40 volumes. The series aims to provide readable and accurate translations of a broad range of early Christian literature to a wide audience--from students of Christian history and theology to lay Christians reading for spiritual benefit. Recognized Patristic scholars provide short but comprehensive and clear introductory essays according to their specializations for each volume.

Texts include classics of Christian literature, thematic volumes, homily collections, letters, spiritual guidance, and poetical works from a wide variety geographical contexts and historical backgrounds. Patristic authors include Athanasius, Gregory the Great, St. Basil, St. Gregory of Nazianzus, Tertullian, and many, many more! The purpose of the series is to mine the riches of the early church and to make these invaluable writings available to all.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Madison Grant wrote:

Hi Earl,

I recognize that name.

This is a Matthewite forum in the same vein that CathInfo is a SSPX Resistance forum, and so things presented will be tilted with that world view. [See #1 below.]

I will point to you a series of videos from a biased source that is antagonistic towards everyone on this message board, but will bring you up to speed in terms of the history of the last 100 years.

Hopefully Maria doesn't mind:
http://www.trueorthodoxy.org/videos.shtml
[This is the antagonistic website of Bishop Gregory of Colorado. It is filled with gossip and misrepresentations. See #3 below.]

Maria has put up a thread with weblinks to the various synods and jurisdictions within True Orthodoxy:
http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=10260 [See #2 below.]

You are in Britain? Maria linked a website for you that is under a Matthewite synod and jurisdiction, namely His Beatitude Kirykos, that just so happens to have a presence in Britain: [See #5 below]

According to the rules, we are not to engage in polemics.

I will attempt to put things in perspective.

1. This forum is not a Matthewite forum.

2. This forum allows membership to all those baptized Orthodox Christians, Catechumen and Inquirers who confess the True Orthodox faith, specifically those people who:

• a. Confess and worship the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the Trinity one in essence and undivided;
      b. Confess, together with the God-bearing Apostles and all of our Holy and God-bearing Fathers, belief with certainty, and without doubt, in all the Holy Dogmas, the Holy Traditions, and in general, the Holy Teachings of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of Christ;
      c. Accept and honor the Holy Seven Ecumenical Councils as well as the local councils and those salvivic Dogmas which in them were dogmatized and preached by our God-bearing Fathers through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit;
      d. Accept and honor the writings, and in general, the teachings of the Holy and God-bearing Fathers of the Church of Christ, the Apostolic and Patristic Traditions, whether written or unwritten, without addition or subtraction;
      e. Reject and condemn whatsoever the Church of Christ rejects and condemns, and all of the heresies and schisms of ancient times up until today, including that of the New Calendarists, which are opposed to the decisions of the Pan-Orthodox Councils of the 16th century, and that of anti-Christian Ecumenism;
      f. Abandon forever all the schismatic and heretical "churches" in communion with the so-called Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomeus and the so-called Moscow Patriarchiate;
      g. Declare that they will have no further spiritual or ecclesiastical communion or relation with any of the above mentioned or other schismatic, parasynagogic, or heretical persons or groups, and that through grace, they will keep and maintain this sacred confession unto their last breath, through the intercession of the Theotokos and of all the saints. Amen.

3. The bishop of Colorado, Gregory, whose website was linked above, is a bishop all unto himself having left HOCNA and the ROCOR, and having been defrocked by ROAC. He believes that he is the only bishop left in the world, and that he alone imparts valid sacraments, so he receives all with baptism, even if they have been baptized with any other True Orthodox Synod.

4. Personally, I am under the spiritual jurisdiction of the Holy Synod of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece under the Presidency of His Beatitude Archbishop Stephanos.

5. Those of us under his Beatitude Archbishop Stephanos recognize Kyrikos as no longer being a bishop because he left the Holy Synod in a schismatic action for which he was defrocked.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

Hi Maria,

My apologies for coming off the wrong way in my attempt at breaking in Earl on the players at the table using terminology and lingo that would be readily understandable or engaging to him.

Thank you for the information on Kyrikos as I rarely see that name in the Polemics subforum.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Madison Grant wrote:

Hi Maria,

My apologies for coming off the wrong way in my attempt at breaking in Earl on the players at the table using terminology and lingo that would be readily understandable or engaging to him.

Thank you for the information on Kyrikos as I rarely see that name in the Polemics subforum.

Thank you. If Earl wants admission to the Intra-TOC Polemics subforum, I can grant him access as he is now seriously looking into Orthodoxy. Just PM me for access, okay?

Feel free to start an informational thread on Kyrikos in that private Polemics subforum, but please be aware that all the rules apply, and that we cannot attack each other, and that we must try to be truthful.