Soteriology

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Madison Grant
Jr Member

Soteriology

Post by Madison Grant »

I'm interested in reading tracts, books, or articles on salvation from the Orthodox perspective.

And the only place I know of to start off is OrthodoxWiki

I once watched chunks of a YouTube presentation by Bishop Kallistos Ware on the topic of Salvation but his accent made it difficult to understand. If there are other YouTube videos on the subject, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Soteriology

Post by Maria »

Soteriology = the doctrine of salvation

Perhaps it might be best to ask an Orthodox Priest how to be saved first.

Repentance is the first step toward salvation.

Saint Nektarios of Aegina wrote a small book on Repentance and Confession
It has been translated and published by Saint Nektarios Greek Orthodox Monastery.
Copyright 2002, Roscoe NY
If you enter "Repentance and Confession, St. Nektarios" into your search window,
you will find lots of book dealers, which usually sell this book for $12.00.

St. Athanasius once said: "God became man, so that man might become God."

This refers to the fact that at our Baptism, we are purified as we are washed in the Holy Waters and put on Christ; at our Chrismation, we are illuminated as we are filled with the Holy Spirit; and at our Holy Communion we are sanctified as we receive our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ into our very being. This continual purification, illumination and sanctification opens us up to theosis whereby we become God-like, not in God's nature or very essence, but through His Divine Energies through which Sanctifying Grace is given to us enabling us to become like God.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

Hi Maria,

Would Elder Ephraim from Mount Athos and the book called The Art of Salvation be recommended for reading?

I did a search for the book you mentioned on Amazon and this one came up. It's published by the same Monastery you mentioned.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I cannot recommend any of his books because he is with world Orthodoxy.

It would be better to read the life of St. Nectarios of Aegina. He was persecuted but held onto the True Faith.
He lived his life for Christ and the Theotokos praying her paraclesis into the early morning hours every day.
Many miracles have been worked. In fact, he cured me of cancer in 2000.
-- highly recommended
- out of print (try other book sellers)
http://fatheralexander.org/booklets/eng ... gina_e.htm - free ebook

On the contrary, when Elder Ephraim was persecuted for holding onto the True Faith and for being in ROCOR, he caved in and joined the Greek Orthodox Church of America under the EP. Therefore, he is in communion with the Ecumenists. We must pray for him.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.