How does the Church view Scripture?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

How does the Church view Scripture?

Post by Handmaiden50 »

What is meant by the phrase: "The Bible IS NOT the Word of God, it CONTAINS the Word of God"?

How does the (True Orthodox) Church view Scripture?

I come from a Protestant background where I was taught that Scripture is to be taken literally and that every word in the Bible is God-breathed and inerrant, and although God used various authors, Scripture supports Scripture when one is trying to understand what is being said. I DON'T believe the Bible is a magic book, as many Protestants do, who think that by "naming and claiming" certain Scripture passages they can somehow move the hand of God (for a physical healing, for example).

I'm a catechumen in a mainline Orthodox jurisdiction and am just trying to gain a better understanding of this.

Thank you!

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Agios_Irineos

Re: How does the Church view Scripture?

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Christ is the Word.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

The Bible is the Word written down. We read and hear it. Icons are a visual depiction of the Word. Jesus is the Word made flesh, who walked among us.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

The Bible is the Word written down. We read and hear it. Icons are a visual depiction of the Word. Jesus is the Word made flesh, who walked among us.

In my humble opinion, Christ, the Word of God, is not equal to the Bible.

The Holy Bible is inspired by God. Yes, we respect it, but the Bible is not God.

Some Protestants seem to worship the Bible as if it were the Lord Jesus Christ.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Handmaiden50
Jr Member

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Maria wrote:
Luke wrote:

In my humble opinion, Christ, the Word of God, is not equal to the Bible.

The Holy Bible is inspired by God. Yes, we respect it, but the Bible is not God.

Some Protestants seem to worship the Bible as if it were the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you, everyone for helping me to understand what is meant by "The Bible IS NOT the Word of God, it CONTAINS the Word of God". I don't believe the Christ (the Word of God) and Holy Scripture (the Word of God) are one in the same. I agree with your comments above, Maria.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Handmaiden50
Jr Member

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Another question regarding Scripture. Do Orthodox believe that God "speaks to us" (i.e. as an impression on our hearts) personally through Scripture when you read it?

Hypothetical situation: If I am am going through a difficult time in my marriage and in my daily reading of the Psalms one day I happen to be reading Psalm 27 and read the verse:

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and let thy heart be strengthened: yea wait on the Lord. (LXX, Brenton's)

Do I interpret this to mean that the Lord is encouraging me to wait on Him while I'm in struggling in my marriage? (This would be how an Evangelical Protestant would interpret the verse - making it personal to them)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Handmaiden50 wrote:

Another question regarding Scripture. Do Orthodox believe that God "speaks to us" (i.e. as an impression on our hearts) personally through Scripture when you read it?

Hypothetical situation: If I am am going through a difficult time in my marriage and in my daily reading of the Psalms one day I happen to be reading Psalm 27 and read the verse:

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and let thy heart be strengthened: yea wait on the Lord. (LXX, Brenton's)

Do I interpret this to mean that the Lord is encouraging me to wait on Him while I'm in struggling in my marriage? (This would be how an Evangelical Protestant would interpret the verse - making it personal to them)

Orthodox Christians believe that the Church is the one who interprets the Holy Scriptures. That is why the Apostles and those who followed them, the Bishops, would explain the scriptures to the people in the form of homilies and encyclicals.

However, we are to take encouragement from reading the scriptures. For example, Psalm 27:14 is encouraging us to have courage and be strong in the Lord, no matter what our problems are. We all struggle with sin, whether it be our own sins or those of others because we live in a fallen world.

If one were to have serious marriage problems, then a priest or an Elder or Eldress who is known for spiritual wisdom should be sought. Sometimes priests give homilies and touch on marriage problems. Several have mentioned that if a person is being abused verbally, mentally, and/or physically, then they need to leave that relationship either temporarily or permanently. However, some abusing spouses can be helped through the ministry of a priest and encouraged to attend meetings for alcoholics, gambling, and/or drug problems, which are usually behind such abuse.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.