Is World Orthodoxy better than no Orthodoxy?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Is World Orthodoxy better than no Orthodoxy?

Post by Maria »

One Orthodox Christian Priest used the phrase "Christianity without roots" to refer to those Christian sects which have left us and do not have apostolic succession.

I must stress how important it is to pray unceasingly. Without prayers, we would be like a car without gas.

You are probably wondering how we can survive without going to Church at least once a week. We could not do so without praying and keeping Christ in our minds and hearts, so we pray the morning and evening prayers, and keep Christ in mind throughout the day by reading good books, the Bible, and praying the Psalms. We also read homilies written by saints of old.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Is World Orthodoxy better than no Orthodoxy?

Post by Madison Grant »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

Aiinir,

You may be closer to a True Orthodox community than you think. The directory you cite is pretty outdated. I found this listing for a community in Atlanta:

https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaOrthodox/

They have another website here: http://www.sttheophan.org/

They are part of the synod of Met. Kallinikos.

As a side note, I am from Atlanta originally and visit the area every year. We would love to see new TOC missions grow up in the area!

Dear Hieromonk,

You say the true orthodox parish directory website is out of date; would you happen to know where someone can look up a more recent listing? ...

Thank you.

Last edited by Maria on Tue 26 January 2016 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Started a new thread in Intra-TOC Polemics with this question.
Ainnir
Faith: Christian

Post by Ainnir »

Father, thank you for the link! North Metro Atlanta is about an hour closer than Albany. Although I'm sure the ideal would be a mission nearby. I'll let those options rattle around for a bit. A mission nearby has crossed my mind before, more than once. Not in the context of TOC, but the underlying point is the same.

Matthew, thank you for the articles. I have read several from that site, but certainly not all! I'll read them today. One thing I do appreciate about Orthodoxy (World? True? Both?), is that there seems a more measured approach to sharing the Faith. I know there are Scriptural admonitions to not be silent about God's will, but there are also admonitions about wisdom and gentleness and love. Balance is so very important.

As a side note, I can keep asking questions on this thread, or I can start new threads, whichever is more preferable. Either way, please don't take any of my questions as antagonistic. I have not really ever had the opportunity to test my understanding of what I've read and heard about Orthodoxy and now I have a new area of study! Also, please forgive my delayed responses: I take a long time to write, have frequent interruptions, and little solitude.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Ainnir wrote:

Father, thank you for the link! North Metro Atlanta is about an hour closer than Albany. Although I'm sure the ideal would be a mission nearby. I'll let those options rattle around for a bit. A mission nearby has crossed my mind before, more than once. Not in the context of TOC, but the underlying point is the same.

Matthew, thank you for the articles. I have read several from that site, but certainly not all! I'll read them today. One thing I do appreciate about Orthodoxy (World? True? Both?), is that there seems a more measured approach to sharing the Faith. I know there are Scriptural admonitions to not be silent about God's will, but there are also admonitions about wisdom and gentleness and love. Balance is so very important.

As a side note, I can keep asking questions on this thread, or I can start new threads, whichever is more preferable. Either way, please don't take any of my questions as antagonistic. I have not really ever had the opportunity to test my understanding of what I've read and heard about Orthodoxy and now I have a new area of study! Also, please forgive my delayed responses: I take a long time to write, have frequent interruptions, and little solitude.

Dear Ainnir,

Feel free to start a new thread whenever the subject matter changes. That is why I split a question from Madison's post and started a new thread in Intra-TOC Polemics. When you have committed yourself to study True Orthodoxy as an inquirer/catechumen, then I can grant you access to that private forum.

Often in Greek parishes, the priest will read the prayers of reception of a catechumen as part of Holy Baptism, whereas in Russian parishes, those prayers are read separately as soon as the inquirer starts catechism lessons. That confuses some people. It is not a deviation, but a matter of practice. Either way, the prayers are read at some point in time.

Your line of questioning in this thread is wonderful, and I am sure that other inquirers or catechumen are blessed. We all learn from the questions.

Know that I am praying for you.

In Christ,
Maria

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.