When did Rome start venerating statues?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: When did Rome start venerating statues?

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Was this God intervening? :wink: :

Right after that video, which shows some kind of statue toppling to the ground, youtube played another video where in a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary fell to the ground. No wonder, instead of showing respect, the seminarians were swaying to the music while carrying her statue. Vatican II has brought in an evil spirit that is not of the Lord.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

In the video I posted, I believe that the statue is also of the blessed Virgin Mary.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

During the time of the Byzantine empire, there were many statues made from ivory. I don't know if they were being venerated but they do exist.

Example:

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Regarding Justice's previous post, I finally saw that video.

The statue was definitely not of the Queen of Heaven, but it seemed like a male warrior saint, like St George.
I was looking for any clue in the comments or the video information as to which Saint the Church was named after, which might
indicate the identity of the statue. None was given, however. Homemade video, clearly.
[ Who would post that on the internet ? Tasteless. ]

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Regarding Justice's previous post, I finally saw that video.

The statue was definitely not of the Queen of Heaven, but it seemed like a male warrior saint, like St George.
I was looking for any clue in the comments or the video information as to which Saint the Church was named after, which might
indicate the identity of the statue. None was given, however. Homemade video, clearly.
[ Who would post that on the internet ? Tasteless. ]

Your right, after getting a better look at the statue it does appear to represent a warrior saint.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

There's a statue of St. George in Greece dating to about the thirteenth century:

Clearly this practice was still in Greece even if it wasn't as popular as in the west. The statue's origins are unknown though the most common belief is that two nuns brought it to the church in a carriage. The statue is also reported to be miraculous. All of these miracles occurred after the calendar schism so they are false miracles. I thought the Orthodox belief even in World orthodoxy was that statues can't work miracles.