True Orthodoxy: links to its saints and general information

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

True Orthodoxy: links to its saints and general information

Post by Maria »

This short biography of St. Glicherie of Romania provides a basic understanding of what led to the formation of True Orthodoxy. St. Glicherie the martyr was a wonderworking saint who suffered and died for his faith. It was he who strengthened the Romanian Orthodox and who provided crucial support for them in the formative years of True Orthodoxy.

Here is another biography of a very holy and inspiring True Orthodox Saint who spearheaded the GOC in Greece:
The Life of St. Matthew the New of Greece

Below is a brief history of St. Matthew's GOC:
http://www.svetosavskasrbija.com/sites/ ... ce_goc.pdf

Here is an excellent essay written by Fr. Basile Sakkas on The Calendar Question. This essay explains why True Orthodox Churches condemn the New Calendar as part of Ecumenism and why they could not continue in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Churches under the EP or the MP.

Here is a very short essay written by Hieromonk Irineos that might be helpful: The Challenge of the True Orthodox in North America http://www.namissiongox.org/wp-content/ ... thodox.pdf

Let me know if any of these links above do not work.

By the way, a recently canonized saint in the OCA and Antiochian Orthodox Church is St. Raphael of Brooklyn, NY, who is also honored by the Churches in True Orthodoxy. Here is what Saint Raphael of Brooklyn (1860-1915) wrote about rising problems with Ecumenism only three years before he died.

• Experience has forced upon me the conviction that to promote courtesy and friendship, which seems to be the only aim of the Union at present, not only amounts to killing precious time, at best, but also is somewhat hurtful to the religious and ecclesiastical welfare of the Holy Orthodox Church in these United States… I view union as only a pleasing dream. Indeed, it is impossible for the Holy Orthodox Church to receive—as She has a thousand times proclaimed, and as even the Papal See of Rome has declaimed to the Holy Orthodox Church’ s credit—anyone into Her Fold or into union with Her who does not accept Her Faith in full without any qualifications—the Faith which She claims is most surely Apostolic. (Letter of Resignation from the Anglican and Orthodox Churches Union, published in the Russian Orthodox Messenger, February 18, 1912)

St. Basil, On the Holy Spirit, Ch. XXX: Exposition of the present state of the Churches, describes a state of affairs that is similar to our own. He writes,

• Did it not at one time appear that the Arian schism, after its separation into a sect opposed to the Church of God, stood itself alone in hostile array? But when the attitude of our foes against us was changed from one of long standing and bitter strife to one of open warfare, then, as is well known, the war was split up in more ways than I can tell into many subdivisions, so that all men were stirred to a state of inveterate hatred alike by common party spirit and individual suspicion. But what storm at sea was ever so fierce and wild as this tempest of the Churches? In it every landmark of the Fathers has been moved; every foundation. every bulwark of opinion has been shaken: everything buoyed up on the unsound is dashed about and shaken down. We attack one another. We are overthrown by one another. If our enemy is not the first to strike us, we are wounded by the comrade at our side.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Re: True Orthodoxy: links to its saints and general informat

Post by Isaakos »

Excellent Choices!

Blessed is the man who has volunteered to hold and keep until the end of his life our holy Orthodox faith, the faith of the one Church of Christ and our mother, the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Archbishop Matthew Karpathakis

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is an excellent catechism for those seeking basic information about Orthodoxy:

http://www.pravoslavieto.com/docs/eng/O ... ilaret.htm

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is an excellent essay written by a hieromonk in the GOC-K, Fr. Maximus (Marretta).

Why the True Orthodox are Truly Orthodox

http://www.roacusa.org/htdocs/WhyTrueOrtho.pdf

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Thanks for sharing the above resources, Maria :)

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Re: True Orthodoxy: links to its saints and general information

Post by Isaakos »

There is also the Holy Hieromnk Ignatius who was a New Calendarist priest seeking for the truth, and to Whom Christ appeared and directed to the GOC and the Convent of the Enteance of the Theotokos in 1956 which had been founded by Bishop Matthew. He then contacted the then Bishop of Patras, Andreas, who received him by Chrismation, confession of faith and Cheirothesia. He died on mount Athos and is buried there.

http://trueorthodoxchurcharchive.blogsp ... 1.html?m=1

Google translate.

Blessed is the man who has volunteered to hold and keep until the end of his life our holy Orthodox faith, the faith of the one Church of Christ and our mother, the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Archbishop Matthew Karpathakis

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: True Orthodoxy: links to its saints and general information

Post by Barbara »

I could read only the word Panteleimon. Would that be the Monastery in which he reposed on Athos ?
Interesting narrative, thank you for contributing this for our info, Isaakos.
And WELCOME BACK !