Why was the Gospel of St Barnabas cut?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them.

Moderator: Maria

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Inquiring

Re: Why was the Gospel of St Barnabas cut?

Postby Justice » Wed 7 February 2018 3:11 am

Is this also a Gnostic text?

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oRHezLzyRk

I'm aware that this is the History channel and they have there bias against Christianity, but this is a very interesting story to me. This version of Adam and Eve sounds very Gnostic to my ears, yet it appears in the Quran which was written nearly eight-hundred years later. What do the Orthodox think of this text?
"The church is your hope, the church is your salvation, the church is your refuge." St. John Chrysostom

d9popov
Jr Member

Postby d9popov » Tue 13 February 2018 9:07 pm

There is an entire "Adam and Eve literature" from the ancient world: Jewish, "Gnostic," and "Christian." Many of these texts mix true doctrine with false doctrine, or at least with speculation. Something can be false without being Gnostic; and "Gnosticism" includes many sects and contradictory views. I believe that there was a "mainstream" in ancient Jewish and Christian interpretation of Genesis chapters 1 to 3. You may want to consult Father John Romanides's book The Ancestral Sin, not because it is perfect, but as a first step towards patristic sources on the Fall. Another book that has patristic citations is Peter Bouteneff's Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives. I would use that with caution as another entry point into patristic sources. Lastly, with even more caution, one can consult James Kugel's big book The Bible as It Was and the even larger version Traditions of the Bible. It is Kugel's documentation that leads me to believe that the Orthodox Church Fathers were in continuity with the "mainstream" of ancient Israelite interpretation and that texts or parts of texts that deviate from the mainstream should be ignored.

Some of the main points of Genesis 1-3 --- points on which all Church Fathers are unanimous --- are that God's creation was "very good" but that we see evil around us because human beings misuse the free will that God gave to humanity. Orthodox commentaries on Genesis are not completely literal and not merely symbolic, but they do emphasize spiritual lessons that can be drawn from the literal words. The traditional Orthodox approaches have been neither "liberal/critical" nor "fundamentalist/evangelical."

Take the issue of what "day" means. If I start out a story saying "Back in the day when the internet had not been invented, we used to always have to ... ... ," the word "day" is understood by everyone as an "era," actually a long era, not a 24-hour period. Similarly, the word "day" is the correct translation for the Old Testament word, but the word "day" sometimes means a 24-hour period and sometimes an era. I read that Church Fathers say we are still living in the "Seventh Day" today and that eternity is the "Eighth Day." Also, I have read that some Church Fathers consider the first six days to be "ages/eons."

As always, what all the Church Fathers agree on is what we should all accept.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Postby Maria » Tue 13 February 2018 9:17 pm

Very well written.

Then there is the quote: A thousand years is as a day.
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Return to “Inquiring into Orthodoxy”