MP MetNikodim has street named for in Greek Cyprus

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: MP MetNikodim has street named for in Greek Cyprus

Post by Barbara »

A disgruntled visitor to the island disagrees that the Russian influx as been benevolent. That person, assumedly a European reader of the Cypriot paper, snidely opined :

"Be very aware of Russians baring [ sic ] gift----they are putting others off from holidaying in Cyprus they are bullish ,ignorant and arrogant and just take over everything --been going to Cyprus for 15 years but these Russian ignoramuses are spoiling it"

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/03/27/presi ... le-church/

However, if any Cypriots agree, they are circumspect about expressing their feelings. The arrival of the vast numbers of Russian / former Soviet bloc citizens has been nothing short of a bonanza says the Economist :

"HUNDREDS of Western-trained Cypriot lawyers and accountants earn a living by handling the affairs of Russian and Ukrainian offshore companies. The relationship has flourished since the island became a base for proto-capitalists from the former Soviet Union in the 1990s, thanks to a communist-era treaty on removing double taxation. A relaxed attitude to transactions involving cash-filled suitcases also helped.

Nicosia, the island’s capital, and Limassol, its largest port, are these days home to an estimated 50,000-60,000 citizens of the former Soviet Union. Limassol’s once-seedy waterfront boasts smart blocks of flats, shopping malls and a gleaming marina for the billionaires’ superyachts. The wealthiest Russian and Ukrainian families flit between Cyprus, London and Paris."

https://www.economist.com/news/europe/2 ... and-expats

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Confirming my statement that Greek Cypriots refuse to say a bad word about their Russian guests is the following article from the UK Daily Mail. Written in 2013 after the Greek Cyprus banking crisis, it speaks much more frankly even than the Turkish Hurriyet report. The UK journalist attempts to address the catchily phrased question : "Has Cyprus become a sunny place for shady people ?" :

"Cypriot MPs are terrified that foreign investors will leave the country. And by foreign investors, they mean the Russian oligarchs, businessmen and shadowy mafiosi who have flocked here over the past 20 years, buying up real estate, investing billions — and turning the place into a little Moscow.

But it was not only the sunshine that attracted them. As Russia’s elite grew rich after the fall of communism, the Cypriot authorities didn’t ask awkward questions about bank deposits or where the money came from (with interest rates of up to 6 per cent).

They did not even demand that the depositor had a visa.

There was the bonus of a flat tax rate of 10 per cent and automatic EU residency for anyone who bought a property priced at more than £275,000.

Today, almost half of the £55 billion in the Cyprus banking system belongs to Russians.

EU finance chiefs are reluctant to give a bailout to an island that they suspect is a safe haven for billions of pounds of laundered cash each year and which benefits Russians operating on the wrong side of the law. A recent report in Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine, based on an investigation by the country’s foreign intelligence agency, said most Russian money in Cyprus had been moved there illegally to evade Russia’s tax authorities.

Typically, the Russians cheat the system by putting their illegal money in anonymous ‘shell’ companies in Cyprus, taking advantage of the low rate of corporation tax, the discreet banks and a government that asks few questions of foreign investors.

‘The Russian mafia uses Cyprus extensively,’ said Hubert Faustmann, associate professor of European Studies at Nicosia University, recently. ‘That is one reason why Russia has no wish to see Cyprus go down economically.’

In the financial hub of Limassol, where 19,000 Russians have made their home, fur shops sell sable coats for £35,000 — even in the heat of the Mediterranean summer.

Restaurants serve herring and caviar flown in from the Black Sea to suit the Slavic palate.

And the sour Russian yoghurt drink, kefir, is on sale in the seaside cafe-bars, along with Russia’s most popular beer, Baltika.

At private schools set up to cater for the newcomers, two-thirds of the children are Russian.

On the promenade, every other glossy boutique has a Russian name. There are two Russian radio stations and a growing number of Russian newspapers and magazines.

At a posh car rental company on the promenade, the Russian manager, 30-year-old Anna Lazova, offers a day’s hire of a Maserati or Aston Martin DB9 for £1,400. There are always plenty of takers — most of them Russian playboys.

A dazzling white building with two towers on the Limassol seafront — advertised as Cyprus’s first high-rise condominium with £1.7 million penthouse apartments and a walkway to a private beach — already has a handful of oligarchs in residence.

A few miles away, in the hills, there are wide avenues lined with orange trees where the Russians have built so many mansions it’s called ‘Moscow’s Mayfair’.

Has Cyprus become a sunny place for shady people? Natalia Kardash, editor-in-chief of Vestnik Kipra, the popular Russian weekly newspaper in Cyprus, sees it from another point of view.

She says: ‘Cyprus is very comfortable. Put yourself in the position of a Russian businessman who wants to work here. He brings his family, his wife can go shopping, everyone speaks Russian.

‘There are dozens of Russian hair salons and nail parlours, and soon she feels at home.’ Yet is this the real picture?

This week I heard stories about the hundreds of wives and mistresses of Russian oligarchs, tycoons and businessmen who live on the island in lonely luxury, all but abandoned by their husbands or lovers.

‘The men stay in Russia and run their businesses,’ said Karolina, a 27-year-old mother of two children aged four and six, who moved to the island from Moscow with her parents as a teenager.

‘They fly in every weekend by private jet to see their families and keep an eye on their offshore interests here.’

She added: ‘The wives soon feel lonely, but still, it suits the Russian men. They like to know their families are in a safe place in the sun, that the children are in good English- language schools and are nearer to Western Europe when it comes to going to university.’

However, Alexey Voloboev, a 40-year-old former Moscow oil trader, who moved to Cyprus with his young family seven years ago, thinks the Russian love affair with the island is all but over.

He set up Russian Wave Radio and owns the swanky Frank Sinatra Karaoke Bar on the main promenade in Limassol, where the menu is in Russian and English.

Cyprus has been good to him. As he told me in his busy bar, full of Russian customers: ‘We heard about Cyprus by word of mouth back in Moscow. At first it was only a few who came, but soon we realised it offered the kind of life we craved. I thought it was heaven.

‘I have three children and we went to the beach at weekends. We went to parties, we ate out, we loved life.

‘But now everything has changed and the Russians will definitely leave. I am hoping to move to London or Edinburgh.’

Voloboev predicts that 90 per cent of the Russians will disappear from the island and go to the UK or tax havens such as the British Virgin Islands. And he warns that, once the Russians quit, Cyprus will quickly begin to suffer.

He says the signs are there already. Three oil tankers have been unable to dock in Limassol because their Russian owners can’t get money from the banks to pay the port fees.

‘Businesses are beginning to unravel. This island will face a catastrophe when they lose all the money we Russians spend and invest here.’

Yet, this week, as the temperature hit 75 degrees, young Russians — nicknamed Cypruskies — were reluctant to admit the party was really over.

In the 7 Seas club, 17-year-old Christina Bachinskaya, studying at the University of Nicosia, said: ‘I feel as though this is my own country. I have never known anywhere else. We all speak Russian and have a good time. I don’t want to go.’

As I leave her sipping cocktails on the club’s terrace, the Cypriot manager Eddy Nassar calls me to one side for a word.

He whispers in my ear: ‘Please say nice things about the Russians. Our country needs them. They are the people who buy the champagne.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z55LPuzb6a
Note : We meet Alexey Voloboev 4 or 5 years earlier. Note the extreme pessimism he displayed then. Today he is leading a political party likely hoping to vigorously sway events in the EU Parliament.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Finally, we come to discussion of "Limassolgrad", a name given maybe locally too, but certainly by the UK's The Guardian in a January 2012 article and also a recent update from the same paper which will follow this post.

"Indeed, vast amounts of Russian money are stashed offshore in Cyprus. More than 25% of bank deposits and about one-third of foreign investments come from Russia....

Cyprus's Russian-speaking population is put at 35,000-40,000. It includes many "Pontian" Russians of Greek descent, who grew up in the Soviet Union and migrated here in the 1990s from the Black Sea region.

"Limassol is a part of the Russian Federation," said Artyom, a 25-year-old waiter in the Taras Bulba restaurant, named after the novelist Nikolai Gogol's Cossack hero. Nearby a group of Russian women were celebrating. Why did so many Russians come here? "First, taxes are low. Second, it's easy for Russians to get a visa," he explained."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... n-invasion

Last edited by Barbara on Sat 3 March 2018 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

This UK Guardian article starts out focusing on the marina, which sounds inconsequential. However, there's a reason that the picture of the sign pointing to the Marina Sales Office in an earlier post above [Feb 12] was included with a news article. The marina seems to be a major business endeavor on the southern part of Greek Cyprus -- and perhaps is a symbol of the overall financial picture of Russian economic clout in "Limassolgrad", necessitating a Cathedral built for the increasing population of expatriates from the Russian Federation.

"Limassol has long been a magnet for affluent Russian expatriates, with the city earning the moniker “Limassolgrad” partly because of its reputation as a hub for offshore Russian finance and those wanting to hide their riches.

.... says Antis Nathanael, head of the Cyprus Russian business association in Nicosia. “The 300 Cypriot companies in our directory have 90% of their operations in Russia and are worth around 80% of the wealth of Cyprus.... With Brexit, I am now working on bringing oligarchs over from London.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... sian-money

Last edited by Barbara on Sat 3 March 2018 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara,

Please reduce the number of sentences and paragraphs that you have copied
in your two posts above. We do not need to read all about the prostitutes and
bad life especially during Great Lent.

We have to be very careful of copyright violations.

In Christ,
Maria
Administrator

Edited at 8:36 PM PST.

p.s. Thanks for your prompt response.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I already had the feeling you were going to write that, so I was planning to shorten it.
The problem is that few people pursue links, I think. So the good material gets lost. That is why I like to post more, but the Guardian may be one of those papers which won't tolerate any infringements.

As for the presence of prostitutes mentioned by the journalist, I didn't focus on that in my own reading, so didn't really notice it.
However, I subconsciously felt that anyone - TOC clergy, laypeople, even some of the professionals who are mentioned in these articles as active in helping Russian Federation citizens to immigrate or set up business in Greek Cyprus - may be reading this. So, I wanted to warn them to beware of being trapped and blackmailed.

Let's say a TOC bishop decides to test the waters to see if an Old Calendar parish can be set up in Limassol. That is one reason I am posting so much information about Limassol particularly, in addition to the fact that it is the location of "rue Metropolit Nikodim". Since there is such a concentration of Orthodox - both Greek and Russian - visiting and living on this part of the island, it might be possible to establish a TOC parish there. However, the dangers are obvious since the Kremlin and the MP control so much of financial life in the Greek part of the country.

The article above stated that SVIR and such agencies are active here. Probably these are mainly interested in economic projects and political influence. One could not rule out a concerted effort to dislodge a fledging TOC parish if it came to be perceived as competition for the MP's grand Cathedral[s].

Furthermore, let's say a tourist from England happens to run across this post [ not likely, as it's in the Private Forums ]. But even one of our TOC parishioners there might get the idea to sign up for a British tour of sunny Cyprus. After all, UK tourists still constitute the largest number of foreign visitors to their former colony, so this idea is far from far-fetched.

Well, why not sound the alarm that there may be undercover people in various guises combing through the ranks of visitors scouting for certain types who can be utilized somehow. The best way to ensure their cooperation would be that favorite old Soviet espionage trick employing seductive women agents + blackmail.

What I am saying is that smart readers would hopefully conclude that it would be unwise to allow any strangers at all to approach them. Thus, though it may seem scandalous for us to hear of such sleezy characters during Lent, in reality, readers will run across this post at any time of the year for years ahead. Hopefully as a result, vacationers will watch their steps quite carefully while visiting the Russian capital of Greek Cyprus, "Limassolgrad".

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

An article from the UK Independent provides the most detailed explanation of this EU passport trade, as well as looking at why Russian Federation citizens are keen on switching their nationality. The 2017 article jokes:

"If you can't launder a Russian's cash, the saying goes, launder the Russian himself."....

"One newly-minted Cypriot detailed how it works, chatting last month over a dinner of barely touched sushi.... at a restaurant overlooking the Limassol marina. A former Moscow telecommunications executive who spends time on and off the island, he spoke on condition of anonymity – because hiding his identity was the whole point of what he'd done.

The first step was getting his assets out of Russia and into a shell company in the Netherlands, something he'd accomplished a few years ago. Then he shopped around for a second citizenship. He looked into Malta and some other countries but settled on Cyprus because, he said, it was the easiest and quickest.

It worked like a charm. In August, he bought two villas in Limassol for a combined €5m. In December, he received his passport".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 32326.html