Fire Reveals SVR has more than doubled in size

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

Barbara
Protoposter

Fire Reveals SVR has more than doubled in size

Post by Barbara »

For picture, click on link. I could not make it copy here. Maria ?
The conflagration occurred yesterday.

"A massive fire that broke out at a top-secret spy facility in Moscow on Wednesday brought to the foreground prior reports about the unprecedented growth of the headquarters of Russia’s foreign spy service. The fire was reported at a government compound in Yasenevo, a leafy district on the southern outskirts of the Russian capital. The compound serves as the headquarters of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service, known by its initials, SVR. The SVR is one of the successor agencies to the Soviet-era KGB. During Soviet times, the present-day SVR was known as the First Chief Directorate or First Main Directorate of the KGB. Despite its name change, however, its mission remains the same, namely to collect secrets from targets outside the Russian Federation —often through the use of espionage— and to disseminate intelligence to the president.

The fire, which local news agencies described as “huge”, was reported early in the afternoon of Wednesday....The 21-story tower block is adjacent to a large Y-shaped building and is visible for several miles around. It became operational in the early 1970s, when the KGB’s First Chief Directorate began a decade-long process of moving to the new, state-of-the-art complex in the southern suburbs of the Russian capital. Today the complex houses the entire apparatus of the SVR, including its espionage wing, and is informally known as les (the forest) or kontora (the office). Approximately 15 fire crews arrived at the scene soon afterwards, and were able to coordinate their movements despite the fact that mobile communications are blocked at the site of the compound.

... As intelNews reported in 2016, satellite images show that the top-secret facility has doubled —and possibly tripled— in size in the past decade.... The images clearly show that at least three more large buildings have been erected alongside the landmark skyscraper and the adjoining Y-shaped office block. These additions, said [ a former American intelligence analyst Steven ] Aftergood in 2016, appear to have increased the SVR headquarters’ floor space “by a factor of two or more”. Moreover, the nearby parking capacity at the complex “appears to have quadrupled”, he added. Observers often describe the compound as a constant construction site, with new buildings and facilities being built at an unprecedented speed.

► Author: Joseph Fitsanakis | Date: 09 November 2017

https://intelnews.org/2017/11/09/01-2212/

Imagine having that last name, Aftergood. It sounds like the oft-used term "Post - Christian". Or else like the time after Good has fled, which would connote an era of "bad" in the driver's seat.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Fire Reveals SVR has more than doubled in size

Post by Maria »

I fixed it.

The codes for image must be on the same line. [ img] image location [/ img]

You had it configured without the spaces:

[img ] picture
[/ img]

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKBN1D8220

This is the same article without the admission that the fire had doubled in size.

Is it still going on? Or has the fire been extinguished as reported by Reuters?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks so much for fixing it. OK, now I know WHY some of my photos have not posted. I'll watch that the image marks are on the same line. Never thought of that.

It seems to have been put out fairly quickly. I checked for new information, but there is zero in English language since the initial release of the news.
Apparently it was due to a short circuit, in a cable tunnel.

One expects updates on a major fire in such a strategic place, but so far, nothing.