Prayer For The New Year

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Prayer For The New Year

Post by Revnitel »

"Christ our Lord, You who provide the rains
and fruitful seasons, and hear the prayers
of those who humbly seek You,
accept also our requests about our needs
and concerns and deliver us
from worry, danger and sin.
Your mercies are as abundant as Your works.
Bless all our activities, direct our steps by
Your Holy Spirit, and forgive' our shortcomings.
Lord, bless the year with Your goodness
and make it a year of grace
for all of us. Amen."

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Prayer For The New Year

Post by Barbara »

Amen !

Thoughtful of you, Revnitel, to post this lovely prayer ---

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, Amen! Thanks for the prayer.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I hope everyone would be able to find this prayer and say it to bring about a New Year
aligned with God's Will.

You know, I hear so many people making "resolutions". But what are those
compared with PRAYING regularly a SIMPLE PRAYER like this
which encompasses -- everything !

Instead of "In 2013, I vow to give up candy...or drinking expresso..."

Look at the gulf that yawns between the 2 approaches, one
God-centered,
the other finite and man-centered.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Actually the true new year is September 1st by the Church calendar. We shouldn't even bother with this sensationalism of resolutions at this time. The prayer posted mentions: fruitful seasons. And a beautiful prayer it is. The dead of winter doesn't provide bearing fruit. Even in the Mediterranean areas. I think this prayer was meant for the beginning of Autumn when the harvest was ready.

Resolutions are a worldly concept which replaces spiritual works of repentance. Since people don't have Jesus Christ as their focus, then they need to replace it with a concept that mimics virtues. Why? Because all our souls know the truth about God, but most will mask it with other concepts...this is prelest (delusion). And they will create holidays to satisfy their prelest views.

In Orthodoxy, resolutions translate to repentance. We should live it every day, not just at a certain period of time. I will certainly vouch for that. But, in the world, it is reduced to a concept which only lasts a month.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

joasia wrote:

Actually the true new year is September 1st by the Church calendar. We shouldn't even bother with this sensationalism of resolutions at this time. The prayer posted mentions: fruitful seasons. And a beautiful prayer it is. The dead of winter doesn't provide bearing fruit. Even in the Mediterranean areas. I think this prayer was meant for the beginning of Autumn when the harvest was ready.

Resolutions are a worldly concept which replaces spiritual works of repentance. Since people don't have Jesus Christ as their focus, then they need to replace it with a concept that mimics virtues. Why? Because all our souls know the truth about God, but most will mask it with other concepts...this is prelest (delusion). And they will create holidays to satisfy their prelest views.

In Orthodoxy, resolutions translate to repentance. We should live it every day, not just at a certain period of time. I will certainly vouch for that. But, in the world, it is reduced to a concept which only lasts a month.

Excellent point, Joanna. You picked up on the idea that it was from September. I missed that. And about resolutions being a replacement for true repentance, again, excellent analysis. Thank you.

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Revnitel »

Actually, resolution imples exercising ones free will to do something. Repentance is predicated on resolve, resolution, our free will. It is never compelled.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),