Prayer For The New Year

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Prayer For The New Year

Post by Revnitel »

Less than 3 days... Then Merry Christmas!

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian

Post by Maria »

Revnitel wrote:

Less than 3 days... Then Merry Christmas!

Felix Natividad!

Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Revnitel wrote:

Actually, resolution imples exercising ones free will to do something. Repentance is predicated on resolve, resolution, our free will. It is never compelled.

Resolution is based on personal will. Repentance is based on doing God's will. The first one feels good. The second one is really painful.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox

Post by Revnitel »

Not quite, but OK. God gave us free will to be able to the right thing. We have to resolve to do that. I think you are right in emphasizing we should do the right thing.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

joasia wrote:
Revnitel wrote:

Actually, resolution imples exercising ones free will to do something. Repentance is predicated on resolve, resolution, our free will. It is never compelled.

Resolution is based on personal will. Repentance is based on doing God's will. The first one feels good. The second one is really painful.

Indeed, Joanna! Incisive point.