Welcome new member Revnitel

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Welcome new member Revnitel

Post by Revnitel »

LOL! I am Rev Nothing, maybe Rev Stupid, but thank you. Happy Civil New Year!

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Revnitel »

No, Saxonburg is under the Greek New Calendarists, but they live strictly, being spiritual charges of Elder Ephraim. I haven't visited the Romanian convent in PA, but I have visited their convent in Rives Junction, MI. That one has a very traditionalist feel to it, unlike most Romanian parishes. I believe it was once part of the old Romanian ROCOR.

Happy Civil New Year!

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, many NewCalendarist monasteries and the monastics there have a very traditional feel about them. They really think they are truly Orthodox. However, they do not understand the serious cut to the heart of Orthodox identity that heresy in their bishops (the lifing of the anathemas, the joint declaration on baptism at Balamand, etc) separates them all from a truly Orthodox confession and makes them Pseudodox, or simply heretics; and this is the case even if they are extremely conscientious in prayer, holy readings of the Fathers, and personal piety in such things and repentance, obedience, forgiveness towards one's enemies, etc.

I know many Protestants who probably have little idea of what the Orthodox Church is, and maybe have never even heard the words put together, who are raised Pentecostal or Baptist, or what have you, but they are very prayerful, forgiving, and zealous for defending the morals and basic theology of the Christians faith. But this does not cure them of heresy, and this is what New Calendarists do not understand. They only consider their strengths and think they are on track with God, much in the same way as do the Protestants who are very pious, conscientious, and zealous in their faith.