Pray that fires stop in CA, AZ, WA, ID, and MT

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Pray that fires stop in CA, AZ, WA, ID, and MT

Post by Maria »

UPDATE: 17 minutes ago.

California OAK FIRE near Modesto continues to burn:
100 acres 20% contained

California ROUGH FIRE near Fresno now threatens Armenian Church Camp. The Greek Church camp and Greek female monastery are in Dunlap, which is also being evacuated.

The Rough Fire has grown to 97,884 acres and is currently the largest active fire in California. There are 1,960 personnel currently assigned to the Rough Fire. Containment increased to 31%. Rough Fire Information: (559) 332-2028. The information line is located at the Incident Command Post in Squaw Valley on Highway 180.

Tuesday evening, [Sept. 8, 2015]]the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office began the process of issuing evacuation warning notices due to the rapid spread of the Rough Fire. These warnings are directed at people living in the communities of Pinehurst, Miramonte and Dunlap. The warnings also encompass an area north of Highway 180 that stretches from Hopewell Road to the west, to the Armenian Church Camp Western and Happy Gap / Sequoia Lake to the east. All residents should now be preparing to leave at a moment’s notice.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/4456/29471/

Lord have mercy.

Please continue to pray as Washington, Idaho, and Montana are peppered with forest fires, many of them suspected arson.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Please pray.

More updates on the California Fires:

Lord have mercy and save us.

More updates on the California FIres. Please keep praying for the firefighters in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and in Arizona.

Browns Fire in California

#BrownsFire [update] Highway 299 & Little Browns Creek Rd east of Weaverville (Trinity County) is now 35 acres and 35% contained.

The Summit Fire in California

burned 55 acres near Snow Summit Mountain Resort south of Big Bear Lake. It was reported at 12:25 pm on August 23 and is now 95% contained. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Many fires continue to burn out of control in Shasta-Trinity National Forest and in other forests in Northern California.

1. River Complex

Morning Update Tuesday, September 8, 2015Date Started: July 30, 2015 Size of the complex: 71,608 acres Containment for the complex: 54 percentEstimated Containment Date: October 1, 2015. more

2.FORK COMPLEX

PUBLIC MEETING Thursday September 10th @ 7:00 p.m. at the Trinity County Fairgrounds, Hayfork in the Dining Hall (yellow building). Update on fire status, suppression repair and Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER).
SOUTH COMPLEX PUBLIC MEETING Thursday September 10th @ 4:00 p.m. at the Hyampom Volunteer Fire Station, Hyampom. Update on fire status, suppression repair and Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER).
Representatives from the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will be present at both meetings to provide information about the community emergency watershed protection program.

3. Orleans Ranger District:

The fire has burned 6,881 acres, with 77 percent containment and 47 personnel. A fireline has been established around the entire footprint of the fire. This fire is being fought utilizing indirect tactics, where the control line is a considerable distance away from the fire’s active edge. It allows firefighters to utilize fuelbreaks and favorable natural breaks in the topography. An indirect fireline can be combined with existing natural barriers to strengthen the line.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll ... TmU5XK-qJQ

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The Life-Giving Spring Greek -- but traditional-minded -- convent in Dunlap is BEING EVACUATED ? Oh no !
Is the Abbess there still Abbess Makrina, by the way, do you or anyone else know ?
I had pictured Dunlap as not near Fresno but instead inland from the Ben Lomond area.

And also the other areas are threatened ? I had no idea the fires were in THAT section of California.

This is really tiresome that arsonists would KEEP causing SO MUCH disaster, and all over the West !

Please let us know the latest development as I am really worried about this fire near these properties, such as the Armenian Church camp, etc.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Post by Cyprian »

I don't know much about this convent. What exactly qualifies them as traditionalist? Looks as if they are with GOARCH, the Metropolis of San Francisco. So one would presume they do not follow the Patristic calendar.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Cyprian wrote:

I don't know much about this convent. What exactly qualifies them as traditionalist? Looks as if they are with GOARCH, the Metropolis of San Francisco. So one would presume they do not follow the Patristic calendar.

This convent, located in the outskirts of Fresno, is under the spiritual leadership of Elder Ephraim of St. Anthony's Monastery in Florence, Arizona. They are all under GOARCH, which is under the EP. Although they may claim to be Traditionalists, they oppose True Orthodoxy and condemn anyone who would want to join us.

However, Christ has instructed us to pray for and to love those who oppose us.
If we do not love and forgive our enemies, we shall not have eternal life.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Surely every Church and Monastery everywhere MUST have a Burning Bush Icon in a place where people can active venerate Her !

I didn't see any further activity here on this thread so I read a VAGUE UPI news summary. While reporting thousands of evacuees, the article did not name the areas specifically, only the 2 Counties, Amador and Calaveras.
The reason I mention the Icon is that the article says that no wildfires have been through that region in a long time.
Thus it's a reminder that a wildfire can start and go anywhere outside of cities, which one assumes are safe.

So - hoping there might be some more news from our trusty observer of events, Maria, I checked in.

Cyprian, of course you are RIGHT to question that. It is only because Mother Makrina with some nuns from that Convent appeared once at a Dormition LIturgy which I was attending. Old Calendar, of course.

I wondered who she was and asked her after the service ended. That's how I have any idea about that Convent at all !
I didn't realize it existed. Abbess Makrina sounded VERY nostalgic and impressed with the Russian service.
One could tell she didn't like the New Calendar. She said as much to me. She stated regretfully : "Of course the Old Calendar is the correct calendar". I nodded affirmatively but did not know enough about Elder Ephraim at that point to ask if her convent was under him. Anyway, she invited me out there but I did not ever go. I do know of several Old Calendar women who went there seeking healing and comfort. So the Convent is on the general pilgrimage track, or is slowly becoming so.

That is why I am particularly alarmed about that Convent and wondered whether this Abbess still governs it.

However, I am sorry to hear this : that either the Convent OR the general Elder Ephraim, Inc persecute or look down upon Old Calendarists !
I thought the Arizona property was Old Calendar - no ? I guess not if under GOA.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

GOARCH Monastery and Ranch no longer under threat.

Please continue to pray for the Western States where fires still burn uncontrolled.

Lord have mercy.

http://sanfran.goarch.org/news/smoke-cl ... t=FaceBook