Flexibility and Editing Abilities

News and updates pertaining to the Cafe itself, including policies and helpful information. This is also the place for users to pose technical questions or seek assistance in navigating the forum. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussion. No name-calling.

Matthew
Protoposter

Flexibility and Editing Abilities

Post by Matthew »

Hello brothers and sisters,

From a recent experience I have come to see that there is on occasion a legitimate need to have some limited amount of editing to posts no longer on the edit mode. I have a suggestion which I will make but in I also was wondering if anyone else has any ideas as to how we can strike a balance between a strict prohibition on altering one's posts at all, and the the easily abused past policy that allowed forum members to erase all their past posts, which effectively reduced entire threads to nonsense. There is a need, then, for restrictions on editing but is there not a way to allow some control over improving communication by editing out lack of clarity or poorly worded posts that can cause problems just as deleting posts can? Perhaps there is some way to have delegated member who can be trusted to take requests on a case by case basis to allow such editing? that way we are only granting someone to change a single post and if they delete the whole post, at least they cannot do that with more than one and then we can forbid them in future if the prove disrespectful of the forum policies.

Thank you,
Symeon

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: Flexibility and Editing Abilities

Post by joasia »

Your request is confusing and incoherent. What exactly are you asking, as a non-moderator?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

The answer is no.

Jonathan

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

One way to clear up any miscommunication is to quote the original post and then the corrected copy with an apology for the errors. That has been done by several posters here.

Also during the thread discussion, members can always ask questions to clarify typos and ambiguous statements.

How long is the editing time here? I think it is quite generous.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

My apologies for belaboring the issue about editing privileges.

I think it is a hard thing for me to see the positions of other people and to cut off my own will. So, I recognize that this forum experience is good for me to learn a little humility and to correct myself by accepting things as they are. I hope you will forgive me my shortcomings of the past couple of weeks. I have not frequented any forums for more than 5 years and before that my experience in using this kind of medium was limited. So I need to make adjustments to myself in order to fit in well with others. God bless and assist the moderators in their labors on a site like this, which I can see must be difficult. I didn't realize I was being vexatious, but now I see that I was, and I am sorry about that and will try to be more considerate and understanding from the point of view of others.

unworthy Symeon

PS. Yes Maria, you are right. That is more than sufficient. I will remember your advice. Thank you.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

My apologies for belaboring the issue about editing privileges.

I think it is a hard thing for me to see the positions of other people and to cut off my own will. So, I recognize that this forum experience is good for me to learn a little humility and to correct myself by accepting things as they are. I hope you will forgive me my shortcomings of the past couple of weeks. I have not frequented any forums for more than 5 years and before that my experience in using this kind of medium was limited. So I need to make adjustments to myself in order to fit in well with others. God bless and assist the moderators in their labors on a site like this, which I can see must be difficult. I didn't realize I was being vexatious, but now I see that I was, and I am sorry about that and will try to be more considerate and understanding from the point of view of others.

unworthy Symeon

PS. Yes Maria, you are right. That is more than sufficient. I will remember your advice. Thank you.

I am glad you are here.

At forums which allow unlimited editing, there is always the risk that someone will be upset and then will selfishly delete all his/her posts.
As you are aware, with massive edits and deletions, the result is devastating.

Thus, I try to click PREVIEW below and continue to edit my posts before clicking SUBMIT.
If I accidentally hit SUBMIT before hitting PREVIEW, then I click EDIT above, and make sure that there are no typos or ambiguous sentences, clicking PREVIEW and then SUBMIT when I think it is reasonable and hopefully free from error.

Blackouts or system failures can be be just as devastating.

Sometimes, after spending 20 minutes or more composing my thoughts and making sure that my post is coherent and grammatically correct, I lose it all due to a power bump or system lockup. If I realize that I have already spent more than five minutes typing a response, then I will often go to my word processor, copy it over to my system, and finish typing it to its completion while saving it continuously. Finally, I copy and paste it here. If I have typed it on my word processor, then I must include the correct symbols , ,

, but sometimes my keystrokes may miss the back slash [/x], that is why it is crucial to use PREVIEW where formatting errors or misspelling can be immediately seen and corrected.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

That is perhaps the safest way to do things, and a good system you have got. Thanks, Maria.

Symeon