Users cannot delete their accounts

News and updates pertaining to the Cafe itself, including policies and helpful information. This is also the place for users to pose technical questions or seek assistance in navigating the forum. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussion. No name-calling.

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Users cannot delete their accounts

Post by Anastasios »

Dear Board,

Recently a user asked one of the other admins to delete his account, which was granted. We actually have a policy of not deleting user accounts, which I did not communicate to the other team members clearly. I'm sorry for the oversight. At any rate, the reason we do not delete user accounts is as follows:

1) Most of the time, the person comes back after a few days or weeks
2) It is an unnecessary administrative burden on us
3) People need to be accountable for what they do
4) It disassociates their user account from their posts, making searching difficult, and adds the text Guest to their posts.

Therefore, we will not delete user accounts going forward. If you wish to stop posting on this forum, them please put the following text in your signature line:

"I no longer post on this forum."

in Christ,

Fr Anastasios

mmcxristidis

Re: Users cannot delete their accounts

Post by mmcxristidis »

Fr Anastasios wrote:

Dear Board,

Recently a user asked one of the other admins to delete his account, which was granted. We actually have a policy of not deleting user accounts, which I did not communicate to the other team members clearly. I'm sorry for the oversight. At any rate, the reason we do not delete user accounts is as follows:

1) Most of the time, the person comes back after a few days or weeks
2) It is an unnecessary administrative burden on us
3) People need to be accountable for what they do
4) It disassociates their user account from their posts, making searching difficult, and adds the text Guest to their posts.

Therefore, we will not delete user accounts going forward. If you wish to stop posting on this forum, them please put the following text in your signature line:

"I no longer post on this forum."

in Christ,

Fr Anastasios

Wow, Kybihetz21 must have really cried long and hard to get you to delete all his posts. Did he threaten to sue you or just hold his breath till he turned blue ? And he tells me to grow up. Maybe you should follow your own advice Miguel and quit being such a crybaby.

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Re: Users cannot delete their accounts

Post by Anastasios »

No, he didn't threaten to sue us (I don't really respond to threats of lawsuits, since I know my rights as a forum administrator under United States law), and no he didn't bug us until his breath turned blue, he asked, and it was granted, because another admin did not know this is against forum policy. Please don't call him a crybaby though, as he is no longer posting here, and won't be here to defend himself.

I didn't realize all his posts were deleted as well. That is unacceptable; it messes up all the threads where the poster posted, and is thus highly disruptive. I went ahead and restored all the deleted posts until the last backup I have (which was June 11). Anything between June 11 and the day the posts were deleted was not restored, so I am sorry if there are any remaining nonsensical threads.