Technical Issues: Disappearing posts? - Never! :)

News and updates pertaining to the Cafe itself, including policies and helpful information. This is also the place for users to pose technical questions or seek assistance in navigating the forum. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussion. No name-calling.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Technical Issues: Disappearing posts? - Never! :)

Post by Maria »

Just a friendly note to our members: Staff will not delete posts and threads since using the delete function can interfere with E. Cafe databases. Sometimes a moderator will move a questionable or objectionable post or thread into the Mod Archives or into the Intra-TOC Polemics or Controversial Political and Social Issues Private Forums. If that happens, members will be notified by Private Message (PM) or by a Mod Note posted in the thread.

Barbara wrote:

I had written a reply to Stephen, agreeing, a few days ago but it got ERASED !

Barbara, in the past, I have thought that I had posted a message at E Cafe, only to find that I had clicked "Save" or "Preview" instead. Then somehow, I had accidentally edited it, erased it, or had left the forum thinking that I had submitted it when I had not. Thus my message was never posted but disappeared as soon as I left the forum. So, please verify that your post has been submitted before leaving E Cafe.

In order to prevent my post or new thread from disappearing if it needs more editing, instead of saving it, I have resorted to a little trick. I send a PM to myself here. Then later on, I copy and paste that into the thread. Oh, by the way, deleting Private Messages here does not seem to interfere with the database.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Technical Issues: Disappearing posts? - Never! :)

Post by Barbara »

Oh ! I didn't mean to imply "sabotage" - !!

Have you ever had that happen that you type the whole thing, then press Submit - and
it pops up "No Internet Connection" or whatever that message is >?

That has happened a FEW times during my tenure here. I don't post really anywhere else,
so it's kind of weird !

I assumed maybe it's the hand of God intervening to not let me post something less valuable in favor
of something better maybe.

But it IS frustrating to spend all that time writing it, editing it to improve it, then it vanishes down the "Check Internet Connection"
vast pit ?!

What you wrote is very good for all of us, though, to keep in mind.

Question : Does the Save button actually save it to a PM ?
I have been confused with that. WHERE does it save TO ??

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Oh ! I didn't mean to imply "sabotage" - !!

Have you ever had that happen that you type the whole thing, then press Submit - and
it pops up "No Internet Connection" or whatever that message is >?

That has happened a FEW times during my tenure here. I don't post really anywhere else,
so it's kind of weird !

I assumed maybe it's the hand of God intervening to not let me post something less valuable in favor
of something better maybe.

But it IS frustrating to spend all that time writing it, editing it to improve it, then it vanishes down the "Check Internet Connection"
vast pit ?!

Well, it just happened to me. I was typing a response when the phone rang. My window went black (from inactivity), then when I came back, my message was gone as there was a disconnect.

What you wrote is very good for all of us, though, to keep in mind.

Question : Does the Save button actually save it to a PM ?
I have been confused with that. WHERE does it save TO ??

No, the "Save" button does not save it to a PM.
I have clicked "Save" but sometimes it does not work, so I no longer depend on it.

Whenever you want to respond, but are faced with a time limit, look at the right panel where the poster information is provided on a post. There you will see a PM icon. Click that and you will be taken to the Private Message area with the user's post quoted. Simply type your message there, then ADD yourself to receive that message taking care to remove the other person's name. When you click submit, the PM will be sent to you instead.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

To view saved posts or the saved OP of your new thread, click User Control Panel, then Overview, then Manage Drafts:

User Control Panel

• Overview

• Manage Drafts

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Clever ! I never thought of that way.

OK that clears up about the confusing "Save" button. Nevermore shall I use that ! I never use Preview, either.
Out of worry that the post will disappear, I tend to Submit it and then edit it after it's safely posted.
Causes a little confusion, too, in case anyone read it before it reaches the final version. But at least safer.

I feel better that you had that experience, too ! I thought it was just I !

So - that phenomenon DOES occur frequently. I feel relieved. It seems like out of nowhere, it happens, and for no
clear reason ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Clever ! I never thought of that way.

OK that clears up about the confusing "Save" button. Nevermore shall I use that ! I never use Preview, either.
Out of worry that the post will disappear, I tend to Submit it and then edit it after it's safely posted.
Causes a little confusion, too, in case anyone read it before it reaches the final version. But at least safer.

I feel better that you had that experience, too ! I thought it was just I !

So - that phenomenon DOES occur frequently. I feel relieved. It seems like out of nowhere, it happens, and for no
clear reason ?

With the slower snail mail DSLs provided by DSL extreme, Verizon, and AT&T, internet connections seem to fail especially when the high school gamers get on line around 2 PM Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific Time. This also happens whenever there are news events that are pending such as court decisions or emergencies.