Orthodox Church in Shanghai

Converse in other languages not covered above. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Photini-明

Orthodox Church in Shanghai

Post by Photini-明 »

Greetings, Im happy to have found this forum! My father is Chinese originally from Shanghai although I was raised in America. I converted to the eastern Orthodox faith 13 years ago.

I just got back from a 3 week trip to Shanghai last week. I learned that many of my relatives have converted to Christianity and invited me to attend their church. I am just beginning to learn chinese, so I didnt understand anything, but it appeared to be a standard protestant service with a long sermon and a few hymns and communion. What struck me is how enthusiastic the people of Shanghai were about the christian faith. There were people lining up outside in the street during the service it was so packed.

I also made it a point to go and visit St Nicholos Russian Orthodox church on Gaolan Rd. I was heartbroken to find it boarded up and not in the best condition. I would welcome any recent news about plans for it as all the articles I've found are a few years old.

I am not aware of any active Orthodox churches in Shanghai, and I see the need. Besides the local Chinese interest in Christianity, there are Russians, Syrians, Greeks, Serbs and all kinds of other people traveling and living in Shanghai. If there are any groups working towards the goal of establishing Orthodoxy in Shanghai, I and my husband would love to get in touch with them and see how we can help.

Thank you,
Lai-ming

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Lai-Ming,

PM me and I can get you in touch with some people that may have further information for you.