晨祷 (Morning Prayers)

Converse in other languages not covered above. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Грешник
Sr Member

Morning Prayers

Post by Грешник »

Morning Prayers

Translation Note: The original morning prayer text in Chinese is taken from the front section of a handwritten Chinese Orthodox prayer book dated back to about 1935. An English translation with footnotes is provided here for comparison.

早課經 1

(Matins)

(奉正教的人每日早睡後要有儆戒祈禱說。)

Having risen from sleep every morning, the believer reverently prays, saying:

因聖父。因聖子。因聖神的名。阿民。

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

(此後沉靜直等定住精神行三叩拜說。)

Then pause a moment, until all the senses are calmed, and then make three bows, saying:

求上帝聖子主伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯可憐有罪的人。

O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon us sinners.

(若是司祭誦)

If the priest is present, he says:

我眾的上帝真是受祝讚的。(云云)

Blessed is our God, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

(若是俗常人當誦)

In the case of a layperson, he shall say:

求上帝聖子主伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯。憑你聖母。憑眾的祈禱可憐我眾。

O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, for the sake of the prayers of Thy most pure Mother and all the saints, have mercy on us.

榮光你是我眾的上帝榮光你。

Glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee.

我眾的天君。體恤的真神。你是無所不在的。無所不充滿的。為萬福的根源。又是施給生命的主。求你降下住在我眾的身上。淨淨我眾的髒污。求你良善的主。救我眾的靈魂。

O Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present and fillest all things, Treasury of good things and Giver of life: Come and dwell in us, and cleanse us of all impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

聖上帝。聖威嚴2。聖常生。求你可憐我眾。3

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. (Thrice)

榮光聖父。榮光聖子。榮光聖神。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

至聖三位一體的上帝。求你可憐我眾。我主。潔淨我眾的罪惡。我君。饒恕我眾無道。我聖。降下來治好我眾的災病。全因你的名。

O Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. O Lord, blot out our sins. O Master, pardon our iniquities. O Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name’s sake.

求主可憐 (三次)

Lord, have mercy. (Thrice)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

我眾的天父。願你名顯聖。願你的國臨到。願你的旨意行在地上。如同在天上。我眾所用的糧食。求你今天賞給我眾。求你寬免我眾虧欠。如我眾寬免人的虧欠。又別容我眾入在誘惑裡。也救我眾脫離奸惡。

Our Father, Who art in the heavens, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

(讚詞 第一調)4

Troparion in Tone One:

我長善我全能的主。我一醒就爬伏在你前。向你唱天神的歌說。我上帝。你是聖哉聖哉聖哉的主。求你憑聖母可憐我眾。

Having risen from sleep, we fall down before Thee, O Good One, and the angelic hymn we cry aloud to Thee, O Mighty One. Holy, Holy, Holy art Thou. O God; through the Theotokos, have mercy on us.

榮光聖父(云云)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

我一體聖三位的主。你是教我睡醒起來。求你開化我的明悟開化我的心。也準我張嘴歌唱你說。我上帝。你是聖哉聖哉聖哉的主。求你憑聖母可憐我眾。

From bed and sleep hast Thou raised me up, O Lord: enlighten my mind and heart and open my lips that I may hymn Thee, O Holy Trinity: Holy, Holy, Holy art Thou, O God; through the Theotokos, have mercy on us.

從今 (云云)

Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

審判的主要忽然來到。各人的行為全都露出。所以我眾在半夜發敬怕的心喊叫說。我上帝。你是聖哉聖哉聖哉的主。求你憑聖母可憐我眾。

Suddenly the judge shall come, and the deeds of each shall be laid bare; but with fear do we cry at midnight. Holy, Holy, Holy art Thou, O God; through the Theotokos, have mercy on us.

求主可憐(十二次)

Lord, have mercy. (Twelve times)

早課經5

(Matins)

我至聖三位一體的上帝。我一睡醒就感謝你。因為你有你大慈大悲寬容的心不怪我這又懶惰又有罪的人。沒教我死在自己的罪裡。反倒發你素常愛人的心教我這愁睡的人得清晨早起頌揚你的主權。求你現今教我心明眼亮。準我張嘴學念你的聖道。明白你的誡命。遵行你的旨意。從心裡承認歌唱讚頌你聖父聖子聖神至聖的名。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

As I rise from sleep, I thank Thee, O Holy Trinity, for through Thy great goodness and patience Thou wast not angry with me, an idler and sinner, nor hast Thou destroyed me with mine iniquities, but hast shown Thy usual love for mankind; and when I was prostrate in despair, Thou hast raised me up to keep the morning watch and glorify Thy power. And now enlighten my mind’s eye, and open my mouth that I may meditate on Thy words, and understand Thy commandments, and do Thy will, and hymn Thee in heartfelt confession, and sing praises to Thine all-holy name: of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

請眾前來。要在我眾的上帝君王前叩拜。

請眾前來。要在合利斯托斯我眾的上帝君王前爬伏叩拜。

請眾前來。要在本合利斯托斯我眾的上帝君王前爬伏叩拜。

O come let us worship God our King.

O come let us worship and fall down before Christ our King and our God.

O come let us worship and fall down before Christ Himself, our King and our God.

第五十章聖詠

Psalm 50 6

求上帝憑你的大慈憐可憐我。再憑你的大慈悲去去我的無道。多多洗洗我的無道。淨淨我的罪惡。

我承認我的無道。我罪孽不離我眼前。我就獨得罪在你。也在你眼前作鬼事。招出你判得公審得清。我在罪孽裡成的胎。我母也在罪孽裡生的我。

你愛的可是真的。你跟我發明你高明道的絕妙秘密。你必使牛膝草橝我。我就得潔淨。你必洗我。我就比雪還白。教我聽見喜事樂事。教我發棉的人骨力起來。

求你掉過臉去別看我的罪。去去我所有的無道。求上帝給我改一乾淨心。給我內裏換一正神氣。

別將我由你面前趕開。也別將你的聖神由我收回去。還回我享你救恩的樂。派有主宰的神扶助我。

我纔能教訓無道的人走你的道。邪僻的人都歸你。我上帝。我施救恩的上帝。免免我流人血的罪。我嘴裏歡歡喜喜稱讚你的公道。

我主。開開我的口。我口裡要給你揚名。你如果愛惜祭祀。我就獻給你。其實你連火祭都不愛。上帝所要的祭祀。就是傷感的神氣我上帝必不輕看傷感卑矮的心。

求主憑你的恩惠恩待錫翁。耶魯薩利木的城墻必得修起來。你纔嘉惠公德的祭祀,供物,火祭。那時人纔將公牛獻在你的祭壇上。

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of Thy compassions blot out my transgression. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know mine iniquity, and my sin is ever before me. Against Thee only have I sinned and done this evil before Thee, that Thou mightest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged. For behold, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother bear me. For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou made manifest unto me. Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be made clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow. Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness; the bones that be humbled, they shall rejoice. Turn Thy face away from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and with Thy governing Spirit establish me. I shall teach transgressors Thy ways, and the ungodly shall turn back unto Thee. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness. O God, Thou God of my salvation; my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness. O Lord, Thou shalt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare Thy praise. For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I had given it; with whole-burnt offerings Thou shalt not be pleased. A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit; a heart that is broken and humbled God will not despise. Do good, O Lord, in Thy good pleasure unto Sion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be built. Then shalt Thou be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings. Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.

第一祝文7(是大瑪喀利乙聖人所作)

Prayer I, of St. Macarius the Great

我上帝。求你潔淨我有罪的人。因為我在你前沒行一件好事。求你總教我脫離凶惡。也願你的旨意施行在我。為是我能張開不潔的嘴無罪讚美你聖父聖子聖神的聖名。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

O God, cleanse me a sinner, for I have never done anything good in Thy sight; but deliver me from the evil one, and let Thy will be done in me, that I may open mine unworthy mouth without condemnation, and praise Thy holy name: of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, now and every, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第二祝文(是大瑪喀利乙聖人所作)

Prayer II, of St. Macarius the Great

我救主。我上帝合利斯托斯。我一睡醒就獻給你中夜唱的歌。也爬伏向你呼叫說。甘願被釘十字架的主別教我沉在罪裡睡死。總要發可憐教我這懶睡的人早早起來。在站立祈禱時候得救恩。求你教我過昏昏沉沉之後得無罪過晌晴白日。也搭救我。

Having risen from sleep, I offer unto Thee, O Savior, the midnight hymn, and falling down I cry unto Thee: Grant me not to fall asleep in the death of sin, but have compassion on me, O Thou Who wast voluntarily crucified, and hasten to raise me who am reclining in idleness, and save me in prayer and intercession; and after the night’s sleep shine upon me a sinless day, O Christ God, and save me.

第三祝文(是大瑪喀利乙聖人所作)

Prayer III, of St. Macarius the Great

我愛人的主宰。我一睡醒就來投奔你。也仗著你慈憐的心要作你的事。求你隨時隨事保佑我。救我脫開世俗的惡事。也脫開魔鬼的誘感搭救我。領我進你永遠的天國。你原是我造萬物謀幸福的主。全是指著你。也常榮光你。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

Having risen from sleep, I hasten to Thee, O Master, Lover of mankind, and by Thy lovingkindness, I strive to do Thy work, and I pray to Thee: Help me at all times, in everything, and deliver me from every worldly, evil thin and every impulse of the devil, and save me, and lead me into Thine eternal kingdom. For Thou art my Creator, and the Giver, and Provider of everything good, and in Thee is all my hope, and unto Thee do I send up glory, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第四祝文(是大瑪喀利乙聖人所作)

Prayer IV, of St. Macarius the Great

我主。你發大慈發大悲賞給我你的僕人無罪過這夜不受邪神的毒害。我造萬物的主宰。求你親自教我配藉你的光明明白白遵行你的旨意。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

O Lord, Who in Thine abundant goodness and Thy great compassion hast granted me, Thy servant, to go through the time of the night that is past without attack from any opposing evil: Do Thou Thyself, O Master, Creator of all things, vouchsafe me by Thy true light and with an enlightened heart to do Thy will now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第五祝文(是大瑪喀利乙聖人所作)8

Prayer V, of St. Macarius the Great

我全能的主。作萬神萬人的上帝。居在高處垂顧貧賤的人。監察人的心肝肺腑。也明明看透人的隱密。你是作無元始常照的光。連影模都不改不改。求你長生的君王收收我現時靠你大慈悲的心仗著膽子由不潔的嘴所出你的祈禱。赦免我眾由說話,行事,思想,所知所不知,犯的罪過。淨淨我靈魂內身的髒事。也賞給我心裡有精神有警醒。過完這一生的昏夜。等候你獨生子我救主上帝伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯明煌煌大顯威嚴再來的日子。在那日他必發威嚴審判人。按各人的所作所為施行報應。我眾可別露出敗落懶急的樣式。總要露出有精氣高興預備齊整的樣式。跟他同喜同入神聖的喜宮就是有不住慶賀的聲音。瞻仰你聖顏的美貌說不出來樂的地方。你本是開化萬物成聖萬物的真光。萬物也都永遠歌唱你。阿民。

O Lord Almighty, God of hosts and of all flesh, Who dwellest on high and lookest down on things that are lowly, Who searchest the heart and innermost being, and clearly foreknowest the secrets of men; O unoriginate and everlasting Light, with Whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning: Do Thou, O Immortal King, receive our supplications which we, daring because of the multitude of Thy compassions, offer Thee at the present time from defiled lips; and forgive us our sins, in deed, word, and thought, whether committed by us knowingly or in ignorance; and cleanse us from every defilement of flesh and spirit. And grant us to pass through the night of the whole sober thought, ever expecting the coming of the bright and appointed day of Thine Only-begotten Son, our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ, whereon the judge of all shall come with glory to reward each according to his deeds. May we not be found fallen and idle, but watching, and upright in activity, ready to accompany Him into the joy and divine palace of His glory, where there is the ceaseless sound of those that keep festival, and the unspeakable delight of those that behold the ineffable beauty of Thy countenance. For Thou art the true Light that enlightenest and sanctifiest all, and all creation doth hymn Thee unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第六祝文9

Prayer VI

我至上的上帝。我慈悲的主。我眾祝讚你。因為你常跟我人行又太大,又難測,又可榮,又可奇,無其數的事蹟。現今又教我睡覺得歇乏。得解肉身勞勞碌碌的辛苦。我眾感謝你。因為你沒教我滅在我的罪惡裡。反倒發素常愛人的心教我愁睡的人得起來。頌揚你的主權。我眾求你發無量慈悲的心開化我的心思。開化我的眼目。開化我的明悟。去昏昏沉沉的懶困。求你準我張嘴滿嘴讚美你。為是我能在事事由人人老不住歌唱稱讚你有榮光無元始的上帝父。也稱讚你的獨生子。也稱讚你至聖良善施生活的神。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

We bless Thee, O Most High God and Lord of mercy, Who ever doest with us things both great and inscrutable, both glorious and awesome, of which there is no measure; Who grantest to us sleep for rest from our infirmities, and relaxation from the labours of our much-toiling flesh. We thank Thee that Thou hast not destroyed us with our iniquities, but hast shown Thy loving-kindness to man as usual, and while we were lying in despair upon our beds, Thou hast raised us up that we might glorify Thy dominion. Wherefore we implore Thy boundless goodness: Enlighten the eyes of our understanding and raise up our mind from the heavy sleep of indolence; open our mouth and fill it with Thy praise, that we may be able steadily to hymn and confess Thee, Who art God glorified in all and by all, the unoriginate Father, with Thine Only-begotten Son, and Thine All-holy and good and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第七祝文(讚聖母中夜歌10)

Prayer VII, prayer to the Most Holy Theotokos:

我宰后。我常讚稱你的恩典。求你教我的心沾著恩惠。指點我直走合利斯托斯誡命的道。給我去去愁困警醒聽經。我神聖的新姑娘。我真是受罪孽的纏累。求你憑你的祈禱放開我。保我在黑夜白日不撞見攻我的魔鬼。你是生施生活上帝的。求你教我這受私情死的人緩起來。你是生永晝光的。求你去去我靈魂的昏迷。你真是作主宰希罕的殿。求你教我成為神聖的堂。你是生治人病主的。求你治治我靈魂的老病。我是受世俗晃蕩的人。求你指點我走改邪歸正的路。救我脫開永火。脫開毒蟲。也脫開地獄。別教我因犯多罪的人教魔鬼稱愿。求極正派的聖母。教我犯老頑固不化罪的成為維新人。央告萬物的主宰。保我逃出苦難。也保我配得同著眾聖享受天上的福樂。我至聖的童貞女。求你聽聽你無用益家人的話。求至潔的聖母。教我放溜的流淚。洗淨我靈魂的髒事。我宰后。我是不斷獻給你殘嘆的心。求你下下心收收我祈禱的事奉。轉獻在發慈悲的上帝前。你本是高過眾天神的。求你教我遠離事俗的攙和。你是作明煌煌天上會幕的。求你對我直施神聖的恩典。我極正派的聖母。我舉著髒手張著髒嘴讚稱你。求你救我脫開害命的苦楚。盡心竭力央告合利斯托斯。因為凡尊貴,叩拜,都是屬合利斯托斯。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

I sing of thy grace, O Sovereign Lady, and I pray thee to grace my mind.

Teach me to step aright in the way of Christ’s commandments.

Strengthen me to keep awake in song, and drive away the sleep of despondency.

O Bride of God, by the prayers release me, bound with the bonds of sin.

Guard me by night and by day, and deliver me from foes that defeat me.

O bearer of God the Life-giver, enliven me who am deadened by passions.

O bearer of the unwaning Light, enlighten my blinded soul.

O marvelous palace of the Master, make me to be a house of the Divine Spirit.

O bearer of the Healer, heal the perennial passions of my soul.

Guide me to the path of repentance, for I am tossed in the storm of life.

Deliver me from eternal fire, and from evil worms, and from Tartarus.

Let me not be exposed to the rejoicing of demons, guilty as I am of many sins.

Renew me, grown old from senseless sins, O most immaculate one.

Present me untouched by all torments, and pray for me to the Master of all.

Vouchsafe me to find the joys of heaven with all the saints.

O most holy Virgin, hearken unto the voice of thine unprofitable servant.

Grant me torrents of tears, O most pure one, to cleanse my soul from impurity.

I offer the groans of my heart to thee unceasingly, strive for me, O Sovereign Lady.

Accept my service of supplication and offer it to compassionate God.

O thou who art above the angels, raise me above this world’s confusion.

O Light bearing heavenly tabernacle, direct the grace of the Spirit in me.

I raise my hands and lips in thy praise, defiled as they are by impurity, O all immaculate one.

Deliver me from soul corrupting evils, and fervently intercede with Christ, to Whom is due honour and worship now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第八祝文(是祈禱我主伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯祝文)

Prayer VIII, prayer to our Lord Jesus Christ:

我主伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯大慈大悲的上帝。你是憑大慈大悲的心降世成為人為救人人。求你救主再憑你的恩典也救救我。你要是因我有功救我。就不算恩典。不算賞賜。總算應該的。我合利斯托斯你真是慈悲的天。可憐的不可言。你說過凡信我的人必要活著永遠不見死。因為是信你的那心能救失望的人。我真信服你。是我的上帝。是造我的主。求你搭救我。我上帝。願我的信德算我的功德。千萬別跟我要求好事作好人。我聖言。願我這功德足可以抵住一切。願我的這信德保住我。願我的信德教我得道。願我的信德教我作享你永遠榮光的一分子。免得魔鬼拐走我。離開你的手下。離開你的棧。他得稱愿。我救主合利斯托斯。不拘我願與不願你可還救我。趁著我還沒滅亡早早迎著我來。因為你在我出母胎的時候就作我的上帝。求主教我現今稱得起敬愛你。就如我心先前愛罪一樣。也教我稱得起獨事奉你沒有懈怠。就如我心先前事奉魔鬼一樣。我主。我上帝伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯。我願一生一世懇懇切切事奉你。從今到永遠。直到世世代代。阿民。

O my plenteously merciful and all merciful God, Lord Jesus Christ, through Thy great love Thou didst come down and become incarnate so that Thou mightest save all. And again, O Savior, save me by Thy grace, I pray Thee. For if Thou shouldst save me for my works, this would not be grace or a gift, but rather a duty; yea, Thou Who art great in compassion and ineffable in mercy. For he that believeth in Me, Thou hast said, O my Christ, shall live and never see death. If, then, faith in Thee saveth the desperate, behold, I believe, save me, for Thou art my God and Creator. Let faith instead of works be imputed to me, O my God, for Thou wilt find no works which could justify me. But may faith suffice instead of all works, may it answer for, may it acquit me, may it make me a partaker of Thine eternal glory. And let Satan not seize me and boast, O Word, that he hath torn me from Thy hand and fold. But whether I desire it or not, save me, O Christ my Saviour, forestall me quickly, quickly, for I perish. Thou art my God from my mother’s womb. Vouchsafe me, O Lord, to love Thee now as fervently as I once loved sin itself, and also to work for Thee without idleness, diligently, as I worked before for deceptive Satan. But supremely shall I work for Thee, my Lord and God, Jesus Christ, all the days of my life, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

第九祝文(求保人命護守天神祝文)

Prayer IX, to the Holy Guardian Angel:

我聖天神。你是保我苦惱的靈魂罪孽生命的。求你別撇下我罪人。也別因我沒有節制遠離我。別教魔鬼強逼轄制我這有死的肉身。求你保我又有禍有下賤的手有勁。指點我走得救的道。我神聖的聖天神。作我苦惱靈魂肉身保佑護守天神。我在一生一世所有辜負你的全求你寬免我。我若是在昨夜犯有何罪也求你在今日給我掩蓋掩蓋。保我不受邪鬼的引誘。別教我有罪招上帝發怒。求你向主為我央告。願主教我有妥實敬怕主的心。也教我配作討主恩典的僕人。阿民。

O holy angel that standeth by my wretched soul and my passionate life, forsake not me a sinner, nor shrink from me because of mine intemperance. Give no place for the cunning demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body, strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation. Yea, O holy angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body, forgive me all wherein I have offended thee all the days of my life; and if I have sinned during the past night, protect me during the present day, and guard me from every temptation of the enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin. And pray to the Lord for me, that He may establish me in His fear, and show me, His servant, to be worthy of His goodness. Amen.

第十祝文(求聖母早課經11)

Prayer X, to the Most Holy Theotokos:

我至潔聖母宰后。求憑你有大力量的聖祈禱給你這苦惱卑賤的家人去去煩悶。去去猶疑。去去無知。去去懈怠。也求你從我苦惱的心上從我愚蒙的心上去掉髒意歹意毀謗的意。也求你修我滅滅火因為我真是又不幸有苦惱的人。求你別教我想起胡思亂想胡作非為的事。也救我脫開所有的惡事。你真是萬代可讚的。你至聖的名也是萬代可榮的。阿民。

O my most holy lady Theotokos, through thy holy and all-powerful prayers, banish from me, thy lowly and wretched servant, despondency, forgetfulness, folly, carelessness, and all filthy, evil, and blasphemous thoughts from my wretched heart and my darkened mind. And quench the flame of my passions, for I am poor and wretched, and deliver me from many and cruel memories and deeds, and free me from all their evil effects. For blessed art thou by all generations, and glorified is thy most honorable name unto the ages of ages. Amen.

我眾讚美你為真上帝母12。比葉魯微木有至尊貴。比些拉肥木有天榮光。因為你生上帝言仍然是童身的。

More honourable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

求主可憐 (三次)

請 主教13/神父 因主名降福。

Master/Father bless.

我主伊伊穌斯合利斯托斯。求你憑本教14祈禱。可憐我眾。阿民。

Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

求主可憐 (三次)

Footnotes

1 The Chinese term (早課經) for “Matins” or “Orthros” service in the Horarium (Services of the Hours) is applied as the heading of this series of prayers. The use of the term is confusing. According to Roman Catholic use (who were the first to coin the term, naming it after a similar Buddhist term which stood to mean antiphonal “monastic prayers”) these prayers do not constitute Matins or Orthros; but they refer to personal prayers for use in the morning after awaking from sleep. The lingustic meaning of 課also imply an activity of a communal nature (between the teacher and his students) and not one that is of a private devotion. A more appropriate term to use would be 晨起禱告or “The Morning Prayers”. Subsequent use of the term in this prayer text should be understood as “morning prayers”.

2 勇毅 was used in some earlier Chinese Orthodox texts as the translation to the word “Mighty” in the Trisagion. It was subsequently replaced by威嚴 in later texts such as this one. The Japanese Orthodox Church today retains the use of勇毅 in the Japanese text.

3(三次)which means “thrice” in parenthesis, was missing from the Chinese text. The Trisagion hymn is always sung thrice.

4 This troparion is also known as “Troparion to the Holy Trinity”.

5 The Chinese term here means “Matins”(See Footnote 1). The prayer text should be “Prayer of Saint Basil the Great to the Most Holy Trinity”.

6 Psalm 50 in Septuagint (or Psalm 51 in Western use).

7祝文means “priestly prayers” but is loosely used here and in subsequent instances to mean prayers in a broad sense.

8 The Chinese text incorrectly attributed authorship of the prayer to St Macarius. Author of Prayer V should be St Basil the Great according to Slavonic and Greek Midnight Offices which also have this prayer.

9 Chinese text did not attribute prayer to any saint. Prayer VI should also be attributed to St Basil the Great.

10 Midnight prayers to the Theotokos (Mesoniktikon).

11 The Chinese term (早課經) for “Matins”is used here again (See Footnote 1). Here, its meaning is“morning prayers”.

12 上帝母was used instead of聖母, probably to emphasize the term “Theotokos”, which the latter is a less literal translation of the title “Theotokos”.

13 In the Chinese text, “Bishop/Father” was used. The equivalent in English is “Master, bless.” and “Father, bless.” See also Footnote 14.

14 In the Chinese text, it is unclear what本教 refers to. Here it probably refers to “our Fathers”.