The Orthodoxy of England before 1066

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

Bogatyr,

Code: Select all

I hope that you can start talking to people with a little respect.  I also am surprized that your rude posts did not get deleted, even after Nicholas' warning recently.

I also hope for your sake you don't talk to people like this in person.  But I am sure you don't as you would have most likely learned though many ass kickings by the fifth grade that you can't talk to people with that little respect.

Nicholas (savva)

CGW

Apology

Post by CGW »

Folks, I'm sorry I prolonged this. My wife suddenly realized that she had heard from this "Bogatyr" before, some three years ago in the Eastern Orthodoxy newsgroup. I've looked into the Google archives and it's obviously the same person, right down to the "ORTHODOXIA I THANATOS". Had I seen those posts first, I probably would not have bothered taking this very far.

I've decided to forebear putting in a direct link to his old posts, but it is easy enough to find them if one wishes.

LatinTrad
Jr Member

Post by LatinTrad »

CGW, you've done a good job. Bogatyr obviously must learn a more careful habit of mind if he wants to be a scholar.

Bogatyr, your gross assertions and oversimplifications mean nothing to me. Ubi Petrus ibi ecclesia.

LatinTrad

Bogatyr

I Rest On The Sources I Provided

Post by Bogatyr »

I rest on the sources I provided.

Seraphim Reeves

Ok everyone...

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

As it says under my account info, I am a moderator on this forum. And as a moderator (and someone who has been with this forum since it's inception last year), I regret having let some of the schinaneggans in this thread (and others) go on for so long.

Bogatyr - while I find myself more often than not agreeing with you on the various threads you're participating in (including this one), I have to ask you to refrain from personal remarks, and try to reign in what can only be called the "curt"/"abrupt" tone you're taking with CGW. As much as I may agree with you, I cannot let this get in the way of my responsibility to moderate all users fairly. Disagreement, even stark statements of truth which may offend some, are permissable (the last time I checked this forum doesn't promise to cater to the over-sensitive); but obvious bile is not. If you do not think you can post in a more civil tone, it is better for you to retire your account now, or at least stop posting.

CGW - I appreciate the civil tone you've expressed in this thread. While you have not violated any of the etiquette (which admittedly, is somewhat informal on this forum) as far as I'm aware, as a personal favour I would appreciate it if you were not so blanketly dismissive of scholars whose views you do not accept. One thing that this forum has always tried to avoid (and I think it has differentiated it from other forums like this) is ad hominem type arguments or attacks, or even the appearance of them. As a reader (who is interestedly reading your exchange with Bogatyr) I understand your opponent's frustration here - you seem to simply repeat a mantra of "serious scholars don't accept those people's views" or something to this effect. For someone who is interested in the truth, this of itself is very unsatisfying, even a tad infuriating. It would be better to get into the substance of what is problematic with the scholarship/sources Bogatyr is citing; and I do not accept that nothing substantial has been as of yet provided (since I've perused much of it, and do not find it in the least open to flip dismissals.) Once again, this is not so much a "rules enforcement" as it is a request from one forum member to another...and I don't think I'm just speaking for myself when I say this.

I know I can speak for Nicholas (forum owner/admin), when I say that this forum will not become a prettier version of the "Indianna List" or other such disedifying, utterly futile spectacles. It is privately owned, and if necessary, steps will be taken to keep it from becoming such a sewer of hatred and sophistry.

Seraphim

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

And may everyone stay strong during the blessed Nativity fast.

CGW

More on 1066

Post by CGW »

If there is real interest in me pursuing this further, I will, but it will take some time. My intent is to use only sources which I can link to on the internet as far as possible (though I'm probably going to have to dip into some books at points, particularly when it comes to liturgy).