THE Ukraine Marks Famine That Killed Millions

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Bogatyr

THE Ukraine Marks Famine That Killed Millions

Post by Bogatyr »

All of Russia suffered during this famine, not just Little Russia.
ORTHODOXIA I THANATOS!
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovsky

link

World - AP

Ukraine Marks Famine That Killed Millions
54 minutes ago Add World - AP to My Yahoo!

By ANNA MELNICHUK, Associated Press Writer

KIEV, Ukraine - Increased international recognition of a forced famine that killed up to 10 million Ukrainians brought bittersweet relief Saturday to elderly survivors marking the 70th anniversary of a dark chapter in the history of Soviet communism.

AP Photo

Related Links
• Artificial Famine in Ukraine (infoukes.com)

Gathering at a cathedral in the now independent Ukraine, survivors recalled their desperation during a famine historians say was provoked by Soviet dictator Josef Stalin as part of his campaign to force peasants to give up their land and join collective farms.

"This year is of particular significance for Ukraine, because the world has recognized the crime against the Ukrainian people," said E. Morgan Williams, senior adviser of the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation.

Two weeks ago, some 30 countries signed a joint statement to commemorate the memory of the millions of men, women and children who suffered because of the "cruel actions and policies of the totalitarian regime in the former Soviet Union." The U.N. statement became the first, significant international recognition of the famine, which was denied by the Soviets for decades.

Marking the day set by the government as an annual memorial for the famine, some 2,000 people gathered at the golden-domed St. Michael Cathedral in the capital Kiev to light candles at a memorial dedicated to the victims, estimated at between 7 and 10 million.

Dozens of elderly survivors, many leaning on crutches, were helped by younger relatives as they shuffled under flags with black ribbons and the cathedral's bells chimed in mourning.

"My grandfather cut and dried loafs of bread and hid them in sacks to his dying day many years after the famine," said Lidia Kolysnichenko, 67, from the village of Irpin near Kiev.

Historians say that Stalin deliberately provoked the famine by having harvests taken out of Ukraine and having secret police confiscate whatever scarce grain reserves farmers tried to hide.

Even according to the most conservative figures, some 25,000 people died every day in Ukraine, or 17 people every minute, in 1933. Cases of cannibalism were widespread.

"Our neighbor killed his wife, dismembered her body and was seen to make soup of her," said 82-year old Volodymyr Pianov, his hand trembling. "It was not the only case when people ate each other in our village."

His village of Kriuchki in the eastern Kharkiv region, one of area's most devastated by the famine, died out almost entirely.

Earlier this year, Ukraine declassified more than 1,000 files documenting the famine, and Ukraine's President Leonid Kuchma signed a law establishing a day of remembrance for famine victims.

In a related development, the Pulitzer Prize Board said Friday it would not revoke a prize awarded in 1932 to a reporter for The New York Times who was accused of deliberately ignoring the famine in Ukraine to preserve his access to Stalin.

The Pulitzer board said there was not clear evidence of deliberate deception.

Walter Duranty covered the Soviet Union for the Times from 1922 to 1941, earning acclaim for an exclusive 1929 interview with Stalin. Duranty was later criticized for reporting the Communist line rather than the facts.

The board's decision was immediately criticized by Ukrainian groups, who sent more than 15,000 letters and postcards to the Pulitzer committee demanding the prize be withdrawn.

"We certainly will continue to press for revocation," said Victoria Hubska of the Ukrainian Congress Committee of America." "Duranty misled international community. The lie should be punished."

brendan

Re: THE Ukraine Marks Famine That Killed Millions

Post by brendan »

bogatyr wrote:

All of Russia suffered during this famine, not just Little Russia.
ORTHODOXIA I THANATOS!

link

I am always amazed that deliberate program of mass-murder through starvation is virtually unknown to the world. In contrast, hardly a week goes by without some media story about the Jewish holocaust.

Regards,
Brendan

LatinTrad
Jr Member

Post by LatinTrad »

Bogatyr, you know as well as the rest of us that Ukraine was targeted specifically for this famine by Stalin.

Your deliberate use of provocative terms like "little Russia" and "THE Ukraine" is quite unfortunate.

It will do you no good to deny that Russians ever did anything wrong. Own up to it. Otherwise you will never be taken seriously.

Your apologetics will continue to be uneffective if you try to ignore objective history.

LT

Bogatyr

You should stand down.

Post by Bogatyr »

:o My mother was born in Orel in 1931. Her parents were Great Russians. In the years 1932-33, the soviets instituted their mass industrialization campaign where they intended to flood the world market with grain to get enough money to buy industrial machinery. That policy was pursued all over Russia. They specifically used famines THROUGHOUT RUSSIA to stifle unrest to the abolition of nep and to enforce collectivization and to get the last valuables from the populace. Specifically, the torgsin, a soviet organization devoted to collecting precious metals was set up throughout Russia. Here, people would come and bring their last, ILLEGAL, tsarist rubles, the rizas from icons, etc. My grandparents did such things, trading silverware, dental fillings and, yes, the rizas from their icons to survive. In 1933, my grandparents went to go buy at least one special thing for Christmas for their family. The people in the Russian countryside were the ones who flooded the bazaars and train stations peddling whatever they could to survive where millions died. That Christmas a lady was found selling headcheese and selling out of it. My grandparents used some of their last money to purchase it. On Christmas Day, my grandmother sliced it up ONLY TO FIND A LITTLE FINGER BONE INSIDE OF IT! Lo & behold! The lady was arrested that day and executed for CANNIBALISM and she was in the paper. So, yes, all of Russia suffered. My ancestors from the Kuban in 1922-23 were subjected to such a famine as well which claimed 3-5 million. All of Russia, from the Siberia to the Urals to Little Russia suffered during this famine and that is something I take offense at when people try to place this on Russia's plate. You, sir, speak hatefully in your ignorance. Lastly, Little Russia has been a proper name for that region since the 14TH century. The ukraine was a term used specifically to imply an area south of Kiev on the east and west banks of the Dnieper river to imply a depopulated barbarous land populated by thieves and brigands. No where in the literature prior to austrian meddling and the new soviet ethnicity is there EVER a "ukrainian nation" or "ukrainian nationality". Your own latin heresy refered these people as "Russians" into the 1950s. You speak utter falsehood.
Orthodoxia I Thanatos!

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Also, I believe that a majority of the problem was the result of the scientist Lysenko and his agricultural theories that fit in well with the Communist agenda. Lysenko believed in the "inheritance of acquired characteristics." This is the idea that externally caused changes to an organism (like losing a finger) can affect future generations (by maybe causing a weak finger). By this theory, an antelope, stretching its neck to reach higher branches, had evolved into a giraffe. Lysenko performed experiments by cold treating seeds to increase grain yields. He claimed that these benefits were inherited by future generations of the grain. Many people found out that this was a cruel joke.

Since Lysenko's theory fit well with Stalin's ideas, and he was promoted to the post of director of the Institute of Genetics of the USSR Academy of Sciences. The previous director, the respected biologist N. I. Vavilov, was fired, and eventually arrested and exiled to Siberia. Other biologists kept quiet about genetics, or suffered similar fates. And Soviet biology (and farming techniques) re-entered the dark ages. Stalin's exiling and killing of the successful farmers (kulaks) did not help matters, and the USSR suffered droughts in years of abundant rainfall. It was not until after Khruschchev's fall from power in 1964 that Lysenko was finally ousted from power, and Soviet biology was allowed to re-enter the 20th century.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

"No where in the literature prior to austrian meddling and the new soviet ethnicity is there EVER a "ukrainian nation" or "ukrainian nationality". Your own latin heresy refered these people as "Russians" into the 1950s. You speak utter falsehood. "

Again I gotta back up bogatyr here...the term "ukrainian" was created to divide the Russian people, and sadly, it seems to have worked to a great extent.

LatinTrad
Jr Member

Post by LatinTrad »

Of course not all Russians were guilty of the famine, bogatyr. And of course there were famines in Russia as well.

But it is undeniable that the contrived famine in Ukraine was particularly drawn-out and deadly. That's all I'm trying to say.

I'm not Ukrainian myself, so I don't have any nationalism mixed in here, but I think the Ukrainians would be pretty upset to read some of the things you have written. They do consider themselves a separate people. They recall the Kyivian Rus' and its evangelization of the Muscovites up north.

And I do not speak hatefully. I hate no one. Not even the British, who contrived a famine in MY country that reduced the population from 10 million to 3 million in only a few years. My family stayed there during that famine, only emigrating ca. the First World War.

God bless all.

LatinTrad