Possible assessment of true orthodox in Russia

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Possible assessment of true orthodox in Russia

Post by Jean-Serge »

I just realized that some years ago, in 2012, a surveywas made in Russia regarding religious affiliations. It gave the following numbers in percentages :

• orthodox from Moscow Patriarchate : 41%
  • believers without religion : 25%
  • atheist : 13%
  • muslims : 4.7%
    - and orthodox not belonging to the Moscow Patriarchate and not old believers : 1.5% in Russian "Православные вне Церкви"

I tried to see the situation in some regions (oblast) to check if they were not confused with another religion, in particular the Armenians that might answer they are orthodox. It appears that in general these people are in majority ethnically Russian generally in the same proportion as the global population of the region. Sometimes they have 3% of ethnic Armenians compared to 1% in the global population in the region, which indicates there was no massive confusion with the Armenian factor. So possibly, this 1,5% of the global population might represent the true orthodox in Russia. It would mean more than we could generally think.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Possible assessment of true orthodox in Russia

Post by Barbara »

I am surprised that there was even a category for non-MP affiliated Orthodox Christians !

So, you think 1.5 % is fairly high ? Higher than you would have expected, Jean-Serge ?

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

I think that 1.5% is higher than I would have expected. There are not so many true orthodox parishes in Russia, which means that the number of churchless persons might be greater than expected.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Time, then, to get those churchless person into a True Orthodox jurisdiction !
It seems the fields are ripe, but unfortunately, the oppression is SO onerous [ the heavy-handed persecution of ROAC Suzdal stands out ].

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Jean-Serge,

That is quite fascinating. Thank you for sharing and I hope we are able to learn more soon.

In Christ,
Antonios, unworthy priest

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

You know something about Metropolitan Anthony Orlov (born 1932) and his Synod ? His name is also "Patriarch of Moscow", he says he is the successor of Metropolitan Vitaly of the ROCOR, the ROCOR-Remanant. There are all these assertions serious ? Or he is a "episcopus vagans" (= "bishop errant") with a dubious apostolic succession ? There are so many different opinions about him. His seat is in San Francisco/California.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Maybe we need to start or update a thread about that jurisdiction
I have been thinking about this "Met" because I keep looking at an OLD comment from November 13, 2006, when debate raged about the Rocor union with MP. I chuckle every time I read it.
But, then I wonder : what happened to him ?
It seems to me that a parishioner of his wrote a book detailing this Met Anthony [Orlov] 's care for the afflicted, or perhaps more help to the author of the book in his own mission work.

No, Archimandrite, I think he should be in Los Angeles, not San Francisco. Information is scarce, though. Needs investigation !