In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Icon

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Archimandrit Nilos

In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Icon

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Holy Icon of Iviron (Mount Athos).
http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping45.htm
José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming holy Icon of the Mother of God of Iviron.Elder Clement (reposed in the Lord 1993) was the Abbot of the Nativity Kellion on the Mount Athos, a Matthewite. The Icon-painter of this Holy Icon is our Beloved Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Thiva, now the President of our Holy Synod of True Orthodox Christians of Greece (Matthewite), an authentic monk of the Holy Mountain Athos. Many years, beloved Metropolitan Chrysostomos and all the members of his Synod !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Icon

Post by Maria »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Holy Icon of Iviron (Mount Athos).
http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping45.htm
José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming holy Icon of the Mother of God of Iviron.Elder Clement (reposed in the Lord 1993) was the Abbot of the Nativity Kellion on the Mount Athos, a Matthewite. The Icon-painter of this Holy Icon is our Beloved Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Thiva, now the President of our Holy Synod of True Orthodox Christians of Greece (Matthewite), an authentic monk of the Holy Mountain Athos. Many years, beloved Metropolitan Chrysostomos and all the members of his Synod !

Thanks for sharing this information, Arch. Nilos.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

This icon, a photocopy of which is now the Hawaiian Miraculous Myrrh-Streaming Icon, is awesome.

It was written so tenderly. Thank you again, Archimandrite Nilos, for posting the above information.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I remember this post of Archimandrite's now. I had forgotten, though ! It's why it's great to have such important parcels of information recycled before our eyes. I am really glad to know this. No one has yet told that fact to the Orthodox public.
The Matthewite Synod deserves full credit, therefore, for the copy's myrrhstreaming, too, then, wouldn't you say ?

It was a photocopy ? Interesting to know !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I remember this post of Archimandrite's now. I had forgotten, though ! It's why it's great to have such important parcels of information recycled before our eyes. I am really glad to know this. No one has yet told that fact to the Orthodox public.
The Matthewite Synod deserves full credit, therefore, for the copy's myrrhstreaming, too, then, wouldn't you say ?

It was a photocopy ? Interesting to know !

Yes, the Hawaiian Myrrh-streaming icon is a copy of the original painted by the Matthewite Archbishop.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

You mean a color Xerox ? That's what I picture anyway.
Well, I confess I had some plenty of doubts about the "Hawaiian Icon". It's a catchy name, but is it real ?
Was it a heavenly consolation sent from the Queen of Heaven for the loss of Brother Jose and the original Iveron Myrrhstreaming Icon ? Or was more earthly in origin, I wondered ? I don't have any answer. But I do feel much better about both of the Icons now, knowing their provenance. Thanks for telling me this valuable information.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Intrigued by the post of Archimandrite Nilos which Maria resurrected, I spent some time in the library this afternoon researching this angle.

One of the things i learned was that Abbot Klimentos REMAINED Brother Jose's elder / spiritual father until the Chilean's tragic repose in late October 1997.
Thus now it's more interesting to connect all the information Archimandrite furnished us, such as that Abbot Klimentos reposed 6 years later. Archimandrite, have you any more information about him ? And did anyone ask him what he thought about the sad death of his spiritual son ??

I located this insight from Bishop Alexander [Mileant]'s rememberings of Brother Jose :

"... Joseph revealed one thing to one person, another thing to another person, and the entire picture of his complex spiritual life was visible only to a select few. His confessor, of course, knew all there was to know about him, often even without his revelations. And so, in Joseph's words, the elder Clement, being sagacious, during confession himself talked flawlessly about his spiritual condition. "
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... piev_e.htm

Apparently Abbot Klimentos was clairvoyant. We should really hear more about his life.

I would like to also understand WHY there is no reference anywhere to the fact that the skete of the Nativity of Christ belonged to the Matthewites ! Why was this information SUPPRESSED in ALL the literature on the life of Brother Jose ?? The tale of his receipt of what became the Montreal Myrrhstreaming Icon has been repeated over and over.
But why was it never explained that the skete that Brother Jose chose to visit - out of all the ones on Mt Athos - was a Matthewite one ? Even Fr Victor Potapov of Rocor neglects to mention this. This Washington DC priest is surely the single biggest promoter of the memory of Brother Jose anywhere.

Archimandrite, we need your helpful insights here ! Why was no credit ever given to either Abbot Klimentos or the Icon's painter, now Met Chrysostomos of Thiva ?? Shouldn't some mention have been made in the accounts ? It would be different if this skete had been an EP one. Surely THAT would have been EMBARRASSING for anti-ecumenist Rocor. But Matthewites ? Any tensions existing should have been swept aside in the face of this amazing miracle that blessed Rocor for nearly 15 years.