Glorification of José Munoz by the ROCOR-MP?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Glorification of José Munoz by the ROCOR-MP?

Post by Maria »

I clicked the image you posted above, and it is terrible. Must be a modernist's impression.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

You are correct, Barbara, Brother Joseph should not be shown with a halo.

This so-called icon is more like a photograph than an icon.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Do you think that spiritually, there was any connection between the sad end of Brother Jose and the turmoil for the succeeding decade ? Maybe it was all a large attack by the Devil on Rocor. Or, did the tragic repose of Brother Jose touch off a decade of 'bad luck' or bad "joss" as Hong Kong residents would say. [ Don't forget that Archimandrite Philaret [Vosnesensky] came through Hong Kong from Manchuria and had to spend some time there while awaiting a visa to Australia, I think was the reason ? Thus HK is on the Traditional Orthodox radar. ]

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

It's the Feast of Dormition, hence appropriate to think of Icons of the Queen of Heaven.
The other day I was reading a random Orthodox Life that had been in my car for years, as spare reading material if stuck somewhere. That day finally arrived when I needed some edifying reading material. I opened up the Orthodox Life and settled in to reread it, since I had read this issue the time of its publication in 2008. I went to the article by the person who now carries the Hawaiian Myrrhstreaming Icon around to various places. He recounted the origin of the Icon's myrrhstreaming. This was a Subdeacon Nektary [Yangson] of Hawaii.

My question earlier in the thread was answered: it was a Sofrino copy of the original Iveron Myrrhstreaming Icon.

It may have been forgotten by now that at the same time this Sofrino printed Icon started streaming myrrh, so did an Icon of the Holy Cross also in the home of this Subdeacon Nektary and his wife.

From the Icon's home Church website comes this same Jordanville article plus a summary of the more recent events surrounding the Icon :

Since June of 2008, the Iveron Icon has been to over 1000 churches in North America of all (canonical) jurisdictions, and has been venerated by millions of people throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and the world ... Requests have now been made for the Wonderworking Icon to be brought to Russia, the Ukraine, Greece, Cyprus, South America, Europe, the Holy Land, Romania, Mount Athos, and Serbia. When the Holy Icon was taken to the Republic of Georgia in 2014 at the request of the Catholicos-Patriarch ILIA II of Georgia, over a million faithful came to venerate the "Panagia of Hawaii." A number of miracles, including the healing of cancer, were reported to the Georgian Patriarchate.

"Numerous miracles have been attributed to the Theotokos through this “humble little Icon”, accounts are only just being collected, and are indeed numerous. Physical and spiritual healings have included the healing of blindness and eye disease, cancer, demonic possession, paralysis, kidney disease, chronic pain, and debilitating viruses. "
https://orthodoxhawaii.org/icons.html

Note the dig above at TOC's : "all (canonical) jurisdictions". Hmm.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Fresco from a Moscow parish showing glorified Brother Jose AND fr Seraphim [Rose].

Yet another attempt to link Brother Jose to the great Wonderworker, St John Maximovitch. This depiction is absolutely inappropriate.
Neither of the other two had any real miracles to speak of in their lifetimes - or after their reposes. Many of the claims about Fr Seraphim seem contrived and possibly even bogus to me. Other people surely will disagree.

At any rate, the article in which this image appeared says that the Rocor-MP Synod is holding off on canonization of Brother Jose, while gathering documents toward that possibility.

I think supporters of Brother Jose and Fr Seraphim [Rose] should not be so emotional about the need to rush to glorify people who contributed to Orthodoxy. Countless souls over the ages have done mighty things, missionary work, writing, etc. But that does not make them saints.

Last edited by Barbara on Wed 18 October 2017 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Do you have a link so that we may read more about this new "icon?"

Has the MP glorified these two as new saints?

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good question. Just the fact that this is appearing in an MP online publication makes one think that at least some in the MP support this idea. Or perhaps the article is due to lobbying by the extreme supporters of Brother Jose.

Here is the link to the report, which is derived from an interview with RIA-Novosti with Met. Hilarion [Kapral] of Rocor-MP.

The part of the interview quoted below was the section which made me breath a sigh of relief --- rather than dramatic speculation about canonization of a righteous person but not necessarily an actual saint. This section of the article is the most useful in letting readers around the world know about the 20th anniversary commemoration to take place this October 31 :

"The first hierarch also spoke about the celebrations that will take place in honor of the anniversary of the martyrdom of Br. José in late October at Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY. It is expected that thousands from across the U.S. and Canada will attend the traditional pilgrimage to his grave behind the main monastery church. The miraculous and myrrh-streaming Hawaiian Iveron Icon of the Mother of God, which is a smaller replica of the icon that Br. José guarded until his death, will also be present for the celebration."

http://orthochristian.com/107315.html