Archbishop Averky

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Alexander Kuzmin

Archbishop Averky

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

Archbishop Averky of Syracuse, Archimandrite Constantine (Zaitsev) and people in Holy Trinity Monastery.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Archbishop Averky

Post by Barbara »

What a remarkable photo you came across, Alexander, thank you !
Archbishop Averky looks relatively young here. Is this maybe the early '50s, that is, 1950s ?
The people all have such individuality. Notice that ? Especially compared with people of today.

I didn't know that's what Archimandrite Constantine [Zaitsev] looked like.
A record of the great epoch of Rocor. One can sense the determination of the individuals to not
go along with the MP just by looking at some of the faces.

Who would be the priest immediately to the left of Archbishop Averky, any idea ?

Alexander Kuzmin

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

Yes, this is picture of old ROCOR that does not exits anymore.
This Cafe shows only a part of the picture, here is the full picture with more faces:
https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3517_n.jpg

I do not know who is the priest. But here is Archimandrite Constantine (Zaitsev) teaching in Jordanville. I think there are some current priests on this picture as young men.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5422_n.jpg

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I see there is another priest on Archbishop Averky's other side, now with the expanded version of the photo.
Now I see more clearly, too, that it is an icon of St Vladimir which Archbishop Averky holds.

The other picture is nice, too, so spontaneous and realistic, just like the first pic.
I can imagine what a good teacher Archimandrite Constantine was just from seeing this.

Well, who might those priests in their "younger version" be ? Faces look faintly familiar,
but I couldn't name any current Rocor-Mp priests or other clergy at their studies when young.
Any guesses ?

Fr. Steven Allen

Post by Fr. Steven Allen »

In the picture of Archimandrite Constantin teaching, the student at the far right of the row, closest to Fr. Constantin, is Gleb Podmoshensky, the future Fr. Herman of Platina.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The student with the beard, Father Steven ? Really, i would not have recognized him at all. Thank you for
pointing that out.