What is the number of Old Calendar anti-ecumenists?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: number Old Calendar anti-ecumenists?

Post by Jean-Serge »

The letter of Theodore of Suzdal to the Russian president talked about 60 parishes. I cannot find the letter now. The fact is that many buildings having been seized by authorities, the notion of parish maybe difficult to capture.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Alexander Kuzmin

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

This is the letter: http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=ne ... &topic=797

About 11 church buildings were seized by authorities in the recent years, but all of them was in Suzdal or near Suzdal. Most of this buildings had no parishes. Metropolitan Valentime took this buildings in ruins and restored them but there was no parishes there. St.Nicolas church, Uspenski church, Lazarus church, Antipas church, St.John church, all of them in Suzdal - they had no parishes. The parish in Borisovskoe near Suzfal went to Moscow Patriarchate together with their church building. The people from other several churches serve in new buildings.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Alexander,

Welcome to E-Cafe and thank you for the information.

-Antonios

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Alexander's numbers sound right.

That's ABOUT what I was thinking too. I didn't want to discourage an inquirer, Isaakos, but the numbers are not large.

I learned some things from Alexander's mentioning. Fr Mikhail Ardov is in ROAC now ? I wondered where he went. Was formerly with ROCiE.

Then about the ROAC parish that LEFT and went to the MP with their building. Too bad !

Alexander Kuzmin

Thank you, Antonios! I study English, this is a good practice and I am glad to talk to Christians in other countries.
Dear Barbara, father Michail Ardov never was in ROCiE. He came in ROCOR in 1993 and he was under bishop Valentine of Suzdal. When in 1995 the division was between bishop Valentine (with many Russian priests and people) and ROCOR from other side, Father Michail Ardov and his parish and church continued to be with bishop Valentine. He never went anywhere.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

In Greece, it is generally said that old calendarists amount to 10% of the orthodox population.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Alexander Kuzmin

Congratulations on the day of Theophany!

In Russia the proportion is much less than 10%.

There are less then 100 True Orthodox Parishes in Russia, and Moscow Partriarchate has 274 DIOCESES!
There are maximum 20 000 True Orthodox people in Russia+Ukraine+Belarussa including Kiprianits, and Moscow Patriarchate has 29 324 PRIESTS (in 2011). So, the picture is worse than in Greece.

But I think the reason is the persecutions. The persecutions in Russia were very bad and they still continue. All open True Orthodox churches have problems with authorities. Police tell us: "Serve at home, serve in apartments". They do different things in order not to allow people to come to True Orthodoxy and to go to Moscow Patriarchate instead.

And if we look at Belarussia, the proportion will be even worse then in Russia. They have laws that does not allow to serve if you are not in an official church. So they have very very few True Orthodox parishes. RTOC has some old people there and Met Damascen has bishop Onufry and a convent there, but I do not know how they serve.

But certainly this small number it is not a sign that we are wrong. Finally if somebody wants to be in a massive organization, he should go to Catholics or to Muslims, they are bigger.