Moderators: Mark Templet, Mark Templet

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: True Orthodox Unity

Post by Cyprian »

Macrina wrote:

Dear Cyprian, Bishop Andrew (Andrei aka Igumen Andrew), as far as I know and he has stated in his bio, he has been among the Russian Orthodox abroad for some thirty years. Could it be another Fr Michael of the GOC which you are referring. Bishop Andrew was ordained a priest by blessed Met. Philaret in ROCOR. And he was not ordained "Michael".

Greetings Macrina,

Here is the biography that once appeared on the ROAC website. Notice how the biography merely glosses over the entire period between 1986-2004 by simply stating that Fr. Michael united with "churches of the Greek Old Calendar Movement."

Father Andrew (Maklakov), formerly Fr. Michael Maklakov, was born in 1953, the first of six children. He was raised in a Roman Catholic family, and wanted to enter the service of the Church from an early age. At the age of fourteen he entered the Carmelite Order and studied in their minor seminary. However, after the changes of Vatican II, he transferred over to the Ukrainian Uniate branch of Roman Catholicism. At the age of twenty, he was sent to Rome to study for the priesthood. However, after one year there, he became aware of Orthodoxy, and returned to the United States.

With the blessing of Archbishop Averky Taushev, he was baptized in Jordanville in 1975. A year later he became acquainted with Archbishop Andrei Rimarenko, who asked him to become his cell attendant, with whom he stayed until Vladika's blessed repose. Vladika Andrei instructed him in the Russian language, pastoral and dogmatic theology, and prepared him for the priesthood. Vladika Andrei sent him to Metropolitan Philaret for his examinations, which he passed. After the repose of Archbishop Andrei, Michael joined the US Air Force, and married Susanna Dickinson. They had two daughters, Elizabeth and Barbara. After his military service, Michael was ordained to the diaconate by Bishop Gregory Grabbe on August 2/15, 1982. On the feast of Dormition of that same year, he was ordained to the priesthood by Metropolitan Philaret at the Novo Diveevo Convent.

Father Michael's first assignment was at the Cathedral of the Ascension in Glen Cove, New York. Besides the parish work that he did there, he served as the Administrator of Diocesan Property for the Eastern American and New York Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. He also taught religion in the St. Sergius High School. He was also asked to move and reorganize the Synodal Candle Works from the Synod building in Manhattan to the Diocesan headquarters in Glen Cove.

In 1984, he was elevated to the rank of Archpriest and was transferred to Rome, Italy. A year and half later, he was transferred to Copenhagen, Denmark. In 1986, and in the years that followed, due to the turmoil within the ROCOR caused by Metropolitan Vitaly, Father Michael would strive to maintain the traditions he had learned from Archbishop Andrei by uniting with churches of the Greek Old Calendar Movement.

In 1999, Fr. Michael's wife of 19 years, who suffers from bipolar affectation disorder (manic depression), took his children and left him. Father Michael waited for her return for four years. However, after she married another man, he resolved to enter the monastic life and began searching for an appropriate place where he might realize this desire that had been with him since his childhood. His search ultimately led him to Dormition Skete and his return to the Russian Orthodox Church, under the omophorion of Metropolitan Valentine of Suzdal and Bishop Gregory of Denver, of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church.

Father Michael was tonsured into monasticism by Bishop Gregory of Denver and Colorado on the Feast of the Lord's Meeting in the Temple, in the Cathedral of the Dormition, on February 2/15, 2004, being given the name Andrew, after the First Called Apostle. We wish Father Andrew success and God's grace in his new vocation, serving the Church of God.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

Greetings Romaric,

Yes, I was referring to the concept of original sin as in fact an ancient dogma of the Church, which has been denied or distorted in recent times by certain teachers of Orthodoxy, both Russians and Greeks, both Old and New Calendarists. Abp. Theophan of Poltava wrote of this errant teaching regarding original sin:*

“His Eminence Metropolitan Anthony in his Catechism gives a new interpretation of the cited words of the Apostle Paul, and, in accordance with this interpretation, put forwards a new teaching on original sin, which essentially almost completely overthrows the Orthodox teaching on original sin.”

Archbishop Theophan, The Patristic Teaching on Original Sin, in Russkoe Pravoslavie, № 3 (20), 2000, p. 20 (in Russian).

*The above quotation in English, is courtesy of an article written by Vladimir Moss, called "The Mystery of Redemption"

Macrina
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by Macrina »

Dear Cyrpian, Thank you for that info. ,the only thing I am confused about now from your info, is that the article you've posted states Met. Philiret ordained him, but it doesn't say as Fr Andrew. So I assume that he kept his legal name of Michael until he was tonsured as a monk by Gregory in 2004 (I don't think Gregory had yet been deposed), which is the same year that Gregory was deposed by ROAC according to their Protocols. If I remember I will ask Bishop Andrew myself when he visits the weekend after Thanksgiving.

While I am sure that we cannot know every thing that occurs among clergymen. I do not believe that there was or is any ill intent on Bishop Andrew's part. And there is a continual strand of his connections with the Russian Orthodox even among the GOC.
Metropolitan Valentine has known Metropolitan Pavlos (GOC) for many years (Bishop Andrew and Metropolitan Valentine visited with him in 2007 I believe, just a friendly visit, nothing formal). Metropolitan Valentine also knew Metropolitan Pavlos' uncle, Metropolitan Petros. There are likely other friendly relations that we are not all aware of. But that does not mean that there are any formal declarations of such matters. I only post this so you will understand that there have been relations there.

I also bear in mind that when some "news" was posted before Gregory was deposed, it was prepared by Matushka Anastasia who was Gregory's secretary and daughter. And perhaps she also was not fully informed of all news especially if it was informal.

Macrina
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by Macrina »

Dear Cyprian, I had a lovely Sunday with Bishop Andrew today. And I remembered to ask him about the GOC. He was never with the GOC. He was with the Matthewites after Copenhagen. He then waited some 4 years in the U.S. for a response from them and never received any. It was at that time that he went to Dormition Skete and was received by Gregory.
This is what he told me and others today.