Vestments & Liturgical Colors (Practices and Preferences)

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mark Templet

Vestments & Liturgical Colors (Practices and Preferences)

Post by Mark Templet »

As some of you on here know, I make vestments. I am fascinated by them and I find a great deal of joy and artistry in our liturgical vestment tradition. I have studied the origins and changes of vestments over the centuries and I am pleased to see that there is a great deal of freedom of expression among the Orthodox. For instance, the colors of vestments are quite varied and are comprised mostly of two main factors: 1) What vestments you have, 2) What are the local traditions.
I know that there are differences between Greek and Slavic Traditions. There are few rigid rules among the Orthodox but I wanted to discuss some of the most common unwritten rules from my observation. I will be speaking from the Slavic perspective as I am not as thoroughly informed on the Greek views (but maybe we can learn more).
Unwritten Rules:

1. Purple and black are confined to being worn during Great Lent.
  2. In the Slavic tradition, priests usually always wear a white sticharion no matter what color is called for. In the Greek tradition, the priests often wear a complimenting color sticharion to that of the vestments, whatever color that may be.
  3. In the Slavic tradition, altar servers never wear an orarion over their sticharion. In the Greek tradition, altar servers often do wear orarions crossed in the back but not the front.
  4. In the Slavic tradition, the deacon’s orarion only goes over the left shoulder; this is often referred to as a “single orarion.” In the Greek tradition, deacons, as a matter of course, wear the “double orarion,” the longer version draped across the right side and over the left shoulder. Slavic tradition deacons are later allowed to wear the double orarion as an award.
    The following are some things that are established but by no means universal or even strictly observed at all times:
  5. White is worn for Pascha and the 40 days afterwards, Holy Nativity, Theophany, and Transfiguration.
  6. Red is worn for the Nativity Fast (St. Philip’s Fast), Feasts of the Holy Cross, Ss. Peter and Paul fast and feast, and feasts of martyrs.
  7. Blue is worn for feasts and fasts associated with the Theotokos.
  8. Green is worn for Palm Sunday and Pentecost.
  9. Gold is worn at all other times.
    I have heard that in some parishes green is worn during the Ss. Peter and Paul fast, I have even heard of orange or rust colored vestments during that fast. I for one think we should wear green more often, so I am in favor of more green, but what is everyone else’s thoughts and experiences on this?
    Then there is galloon (the trim used on vestments for those not familiar with the term). Generally, you see either gold or silver. Sometimes it is solid or it is mixed with the color or complimentary color of the vestments. I have some definite opinions here too; here are my preferences for trim/color combinations:
    White/Silver (I am a fan of white and gold, but more so of silver- it just makes the white look more angelic to me)
    Purple/Gold (I grew up in Baton Rouge and I am an LSU fan what else can I say)
    Green/Gold (I went to SLU, those were our colors)
    Red/Gold
    Black/Silver
    Blue/Silver (Blue/gold is okay too)
    Gold/Gold (what else)

What are your preferences?

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Vestments & Liturgical Colors (Practices and Preferences

Post by Maria »

Mark Templet wrote:

As some of you on here know, I make vestments. I am fascinated by them and I find a great deal of joy and artistry in our liturgical vestment tradition. I have studied the origins and changes of vestments over the centuries and I am pleased to see that there is a great deal of freedom of expression among the Orthodox. For instance, the colors of vestments are quite varied and are comprised mostly of two main factors: 1) What vestments you have, 2) What are the local traditions.
I know that there are differences between Greek and Slavic Traditions. There are few rigid rules among the Orthodox but I wanted to discuss some of the most common unwritten rules from my observation. I will be speaking from the Slavic perspective as I am not as thoroughly informed on the Greek views (but maybe we can learn more).
Unwritten Rules:

1. Purple and black are confined to being worn during Great Lent.
  2. In the Slavic tradition, priests usually always wear a white sticharion no matter what color is called for. In the Greek tradition, the priests often wear a complimenting color sticharion to that of the vestments, whatever color that may be.
  3. In the Slavic tradition, altar servers never wear an orarion over their sticharion. In the Greek tradition, altar servers often do wear orarions crossed in the back but not the front.
  4. In the Slavic tradition, the deacon’s orarion only goes over the left shoulder; this is often referred to as a “single orarion.” In the Greek tradition, deacons, as a matter of course, wear the “double orarion,” the longer version draped across the right side and over the left shoulder. Slavic tradition deacons are later allowed to wear the double orarion as an award.
    The following are some things that are established but by no means universal or even strictly observed at all times:
  5. White is worn for Pascha and the 40 days afterwards, Holy Nativity, Theophany, and Transfiguration.
  6. Red is worn for the Nativity Fast (St. Philip’s Fast), Feasts of the Holy Cross, Ss. Peter and Paul fast and feast, and feasts of martyrs.
  7. Blue is worn for feasts and fasts associated with the Theotokos.
  8. Green is worn for Palm Sunday and Pentecost.
  9. Gold is worn at all other times.
    I have heard that in some parishes green is worn during the Ss. Peter and Paul fast, I have even heard of orange or rust colored vestments during that fast. I for one think we should wear green more often, so I am in favor of more green, but what is everyone else’s thoughts and experiences on this?
    Then there is galloon (the trim used on vestments for those not familiar with the term). Generally, you see either gold or silver. Sometimes it is solid or it is mixed with the color or complimentary color of the vestments. I have some definite opinions here too; here are my preferences for trim/color combinations:
    White/Silver (I am a fan of white and gold, but more so of silver- it just makes the white look more angelic to me)
    Purple/Gold (I grew up in Baton Rouge and I am an LSU fan what else can I say)
    Green/Gold (I went to SLU, those were our colors)
    Red/Gold
    Black/Silver
    Blue/Silver (Blue/gold is okay too)
    Gold/Gold (what else)

What are your preferences?

I am attempting to make my first vestment.
I need help finding clasps and galloons.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.