RTOC Liturgy Service Streaming Video

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
сынок

RTOC Liturgy Service Streaming Video

Post by сынок »

For those of us belonging to or searching for a TOC to attend and seek Church Slavonic, here is the closest RTOC to me in Stafford Virginia. It's only 812 miles from my house here in Florida :(
It is a home church and I understand the entire construction cost was swallowed by the home owners. The choir is very small and humble, unlike a few ROCOR vocal symphony presentations I've experienced, but they kicked up a serious good job this morning! This is the only group I've found here in North America who does this for people in my dilemma. They don't pass a plate, donations are purely voluntary. They pay for it all.
I am leaning very much to joining this group over the other two I am tracking.
Some people say to forget about the Russian thing ... it's 'Orthodoxy' that is important. Well, I agree; however; so is my family background.
The Thanksgiving one is the latest and so far the best audio.
Click here then follow the homepage info. You may have to join 'Livestream' to watch it live ... no big deal to sign up.

http://dormitionchurch.homestead.com/

In Christ,
Sonny (english translation)

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: RTOC Liturgy Service Streaming Video

Post by Barbara »

Sinok
That's GREAT ! I can't recommend that Priest and parish more highly.
However, I haven't heard any recent information whatsoever about them.
So, I am REALLY GLAD that you posted this. I don't even understand what "streaming" is.
But I will attempt to make it work whenever I have time available.
It's something fun to which to look forward !

Is this visible images, like a video ? Or the voices only ?

Justin Kolodziej
Faith: Want to confess the True Faith without compromise
Jurisdiction: Need to be received by the Church

Post by Justin Kolodziej »

It's a video with images. They basically have a wide-angle camera pointed at the Royal Doors. "Streaming" just means bits load as you play the video, instead of having to download one large file. It's like live or on-demand TV.

What it doesn't show is that the iconostasis is massive! I was able to visit one evening with Fr. John and Matushka and their daughter and the church is quite impressive. It's "only" a 4 hour drive for me though :? Fr. John did mention that they have parishoners from all over who mainly watch Liturgy online and then come when they can for the Mysteries.

Wherever even the last two or three are gathered together in His name, there He is in their midst.

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

I will have to check this out. Thanks for posting!

The only liturgy I've attended so far that was in Church Slavonic was a ROCOR church near me.

Google Maps tells me it's 5 hours away from where I am here in North Carolina. Would be neat to do a road trip one day, as I also have family/friends along the way in Virginia.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

сынок wrote:

For those of us belonging to or searching for a TOC to attend and seek Church Slavonic, here is the closest RTOC to me in Stafford Virginia. It's only 812 miles from my house here in Florida :(
It is a home church and I understand the entire construction cost was swallowed by the home owners. The choir is very small and humble, unlike a few ROCOR vocal symphony presentations I've experienced, but they kicked up a serious good job this morning! This is the only group I've found here in North America who does this for people in my dilemma. They don't pass a plate, donations are purely voluntary. They pay for it all.
I am leaning very much to joining this group over the other two I am tracking.
Some people say to forget about the Russian thing ... it's 'Orthodoxy' that is important. Well, I agree; however; so is my family background.
The Thanksgiving one is the latest and so far the best audio.
Click here then follow the homepage info. You may have to join 'Livestream' to watch it live ... no big deal to sign up.

http://dormitionchurch.homestead.com/

In Christ,
Sonny (english translation)

That is quite impressive to have a live stream. It's the next best thing to being there. I have the English translation of the whole services for Saturday and Sunday and Feast days, but I get a rejection when I try to make an attachment on my post. Presently, I have the Vigil and Liturgy for the Entrance of the Theotokos in the Temple. It's in doc form. Any suggestions? In the meantime, I'll send it to Maria and maybe she can post them. They are in Slavonic in the ROCOR tradition which is the same format that the RTOC follow. But, changes will have to be made for the commemoration parts.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Sinok,
Why don't you become a member here of this parish ?? The Senior Priest, Fr Anatoly, is so well reputed. I believe he was close to St Philaret.
[As an aside, I was wondering whether he was ill since I have heard so little about this parish. I pray he is hale, hearty --- and nearly immortal ! ]

I see his son, Fr John, with whom Justin spoke, has done a magnificent beautification of the Church !
Unbelievable !!

Here is one description regarding the new Altar Table :

"Closer view of the Last Supper. The Last Supper consists of over 800 individual pieces cut from different exotic woods. With the exception of the white table cloth, all the woods are their natural colors which were then coated with laquer. Each piece was meticulously cut, shaped and fitted to ensure no gaps between the pieces. It took a year to complete just this phase of the Altar Table."

Then there are displayed under glass the very Gospel and Cross used by the GREAT St John of Kronstadt, Fr John's Saint.
As well as relics of St John's vestments inset into the Glorification Icon of St John of Kronstadt. We all know this Oct 19/Nov 1 was the 50th anniversary of this amazing Saint's glorification by Rocor. So here is a nice find, making the clairvoyant wonderworking Saint feel present and near to us in an RTOC Church !

What an exceptional parish !! Sinok [ and Justin, I hope too ! ] you can't go wrong to become members here !!
That's good that the parishioners can watch from home. Very practical.
I have to get that stream thing to work now so I can comment on that.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

This is a Church in someone's home? That is impressive.
I watched a few minutes of the service... It has been many years since I attended a slavonic service...so beautiful. Glory be to God.
I know what you mean, Sonny, about the "Russian" thing. (although I have read the Greeks are even more so :D )