Valaam chants

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Alexander Kuzmin

Valaam chants

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

Here are the record of Valaam chants. They are very popular here at the North of Russia, while in Moscow and at the south Kiev chant is popular.

http://valaam.ru/en/music_all/

If you do not like it, try to listen it for 2-3 more minutes and you will feel its beauty.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Valaam chants

Post by Barbara »

Great idea for a post here [ not a fast, as I know that is the word in Russian, but a forum post ! ]

I haven't heard that fabulous Valaam chant for so long. I used to play CD's of it endlessly, as I may have
mentioned somewhere else here.

I listened to the one for St Sergiy and German, to whom I have great devotion.
The sound is so familiar, but I hadn't realized until I saw the title in English what the chant was about !

They are great Saints indeed, but little known in America among the Orthodox, in my opinion.

As for me, I like the Northern Russian Chant from all the monasteries there, such as Solovki,
Valaam, Tikhvin, etc.
I am not familiar with the Kiev chant, I don't believe. But maybe I am and didn't identify it as Kiev style.
Anyway I am sure I like it, too.

Alexander Kuzmin

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

Saint German of Valaam has a direct link to America because he was a patron saint of St Herman of Alaska.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, that link to St German of Valaam is not often appreciated, for most american converts to
Russian Orthodoxy know much about St Herman of Alaska but don't think much over his
own "angel", isn't that the word in Russian ?

Plus, St Herman was a monk of Valaam Monastery, so it is a powerful connection.

Aside : I have a bumper sticker that someone had made for me once saying :
"I'd Rather Be in Valaam".
It shows the Valaam Cross, too.

No one ever stopped me or said anything when I had in on my car, however. Too bad
Valaam is not widely known even among Westerners who converted to Orthodoxy but have
not made pilgrimages to these enormously important centers of monasticism.