Divine Liturgy - Eucharist

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

Holy mass - Eucharist celebration

Within the Catholic Church, once the priest has celebrated Holy Mass, it is a norm to preserve and keep the Holy Species inside the Tabernacle, which, traditionally, is on the main altar in the church.

Is this also a normative practice within the Orthodox Church? I mean, what happens after the Divine Mystery finished: Are the Holy Species [if there are any, or course] preserved or not? In the positive, where is It kept?

Last edited by Maria on Thu 24 October 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title and merged two threads with similar topics

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Seeing that I have not received a reply from my question on Divine Mystery, I am posting it again here in “Holy Mysteries.”

Code: Select all

[b]Holy mass - Eucharist [/b]

Within the Catholic Church, once the priest has celebrated Holy Mass, it is a norm to preserve and keep the Holy Species inside the Tabernacle, which, traditionally, is on the main altar in the church.

Is this also a normative practice within the Orthodox Church? I mean, what happens after the Divine Mystery finished: Are the Holy Species [if there are any, or course] preserved or not? In the positive, where is It kept?

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Re: Divine Mystery

Post by Lydia »

Except for during Great Lent when needed for the Pre-sanctified Liturgy, all of The Body and Blood of Our Saviour is consumed. Some may be reserved to be taken to the ill or infirm, but I was taught that It should all be consumed on the same day as the liturgy.
There are several priests who post here, I'm sure they could provide you with precise information.

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Lydia wrote:

Except for during Great Lent when needed for the Pre-sanctified Liturgy, all of The Body and Blood of Our Saviour is consumed. Some may be reserved to be taken to the ill or infirm, but I was taught that It should all be consumed on the same day as the liturgy.

There are several priests who post here, I'm sure they could provide you with precise information.

Lydia,

By saying “Except for during Great Lent when needed for the Pre-sanctified Liturgy, all of The Body and Blood of Our Saviour is consumed”, do I have to surmise that the Holy Species are kept in a special place like a Tabernacle (a Catholic term)?

Thank you
Nadir

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

NadirGP wrote:
Lydia wrote:

Lydia,

By saying “Except for during Great Lent when needed for the Pre-sanctified Liturgy, all of The Body and Blood of Our Saviour is consumed”, do I have to surmise that the Holy Species are kept in a special place like a Tabernacle (a Catholic term)?

Thank you
Nadir

We do have a little tabernacle on our altars. It is shaped like a little church. This is where the Eucharist is reserved for the sick and for the Presanctified Liturgies during Great Lent. Furthermore, we have the red candle holder which is kept lit in front of the altar. This candle holder with a beeswax candle is suspended by a chain.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Maria wrote:
NadirGP wrote:
Lydia wrote:

Lydia,

Thank you
Nadir

We do have a little tabernacle on our altars. It is shaped like a little church. This is where the Eucharist is reserved for the sick and for the Presanctified Liturgies during Great Lent. Furthermore, we have the red candle holder which is kept lit in front of the altar. This candle holder with a beeswax candle is suspended by a chain.

Thank you Maria
Nadir

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

NadirGP wrote:
Maria wrote:
NadirGP wrote:

Thank you Maria
Nadir

Maria,

What is the Orthodox praxis concerning reverence by the faithful in front of the Blessed Sacrament of Eucharist (the Holy Species) housed into the Tabernacle? Do they genuflect in front of It - as the Catholics do in front of the Tabernacle - or prostrate, or any other posture as showing of their allegiance and adoration?

Thank you,
Nadir