Holy Mysteries

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Re: Holy Mysteries

Post by Priest Antonios »

NadirGP wrote:
NadirGP wrote:

Sacraments - Mysteries
[...]
Finally, in the Orthodox Church is it a common practice to baptise infants? In the positive, how is it performed?

Thank you for your answer to my first question.

Now can you answer to the above question, please?
Nadir

Nadir,

Yes, we baptise infants in the name of the Holy Trinity and with triple full immersion.

-Antonios

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

Antonios wrote:
NadirGP wrote:
NadirGP wrote:

Sacraments - Mysteries
[...]
Finally, in the Orthodox Church is it a common practice to baptise infants? In the positive, how is it performed?

Nadir

Nadir,

Yes, we baptise infants in the name of the Holy Trinity and with triple full immersion.

-Antonios

Antonios,
By saying, “… triple full immersion,” the head of infant goes under the water?

Nadir

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Nadir,

It sure does!

-Antonios

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Nadir wrote:

Nadir wrote:

Nadir

Antonios wrote:

Nadir,

-Antonios

Nadir wrote:

Antonios,
By saying, “… triple full immersion,” the head of infant goes under the water?

Nadir

Yes. It also applies to an adult convert. If it's good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for us. The Greek word for baptism is vaptiso which implies immersion (plunging) under water. But, the word also implies a repetitive action. The Greek word is very specific in meaning. When it's translated in Latin, it just looses the actual meaning. So, the Greek word is a meaning of repetition. Jesus Christ said to the Apostles about baptizing (vaptiso) in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matt. 28:29)

So, with the specific instruction of baptizing (a repetitive action), He also specified how many times...in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit....three times. There you have the complete instructions on how to baptize

Last edited by Maria on Tue 22 October 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing quote tags

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)