Solovki [ I know it's MP but fun to see ]

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Solovki [ I know it's MP but fun to see ]

Post by Barbara »

3 - 1/2 years later, I finally located those sample tracks of the Solovki CD which Matthew so long ago requested. [ Sorry for the long delay ! ]
I haven't found the actual CD in my boxes yet, but hearing the youtube chant selection motivates to pull out this and the related set of recorded music. All were performed by the Valaam Singing Institute Men's Choir.

I remember well this particular selection as I played this disc [ and all of them ] SO MANY times :

The entire CD is not on youtube as one clip. It seems to be divided into small sections of between 2 and 6 minutes.
Perhaps copyright restrictions prevented the entire disc from being copied. One can hear most of it this way, however.

I believe that the Solovki Chant was divided into separate CDs for Parts I and II.

The series to which I referred earlier on this thread was called Orthodox Shrines of the Russian North. It had recently been produced when I was traveling over there, so I bought all available of this series, with a few copies of each where available so as to preserve these forever !

I am glad I followed my instinct to do so because these are probably not easy to find anymore outside of specialized outlets.

The deep-voiced chant is incredibly soothing. The solemn voices carry the stillness of the remote Northern monasteries right into our homes and lives here in the busy Western world.

Listening to this Solovki [ or the Kirillov-Belozersky - St Cyril of the White Lake - or Tikhvin or Valaam versions ] chant at night might be an excellent idea to calm nerves, remove worries about the problems of the day and thus the ensure restful deep sleep which is necessary for health.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Today being the Feast of Sts Zosima and Savvaty, here is a pretty Church dedicated to 2 of the principal Solovki Saints :

Scene of the Church of Sts Zosima and Savvaty of Solovki in Belomorsk, Siberia. Photo done specially by skilled aerial photographers, as can be seen in the attribution to Aerialphoto.Ru

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

That is a beautiful picture, Barbara.

Oh, how I miss the monastic life. Tis a bit of heaven.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by jdigrande »

this page does not open for me. It is on RT- what is the official name of the tape and maybe I can go directly to RT to view it. thanks barbara

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, it is a picturesque Church. I wish I could have it airlifted over the North Pole to my back yard.

The aerial view helps quite a bit in showing a completely different angle, plus a bit of the surrounding area. A good idea.

Last edited by Barbara on Thu 23 August 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

JdG, No, not RT. I never ever look at RT - nor any other news station. I am allergic to news broadcasting.

This is from the Pravoslavie site. I like that name better than the corny - sounding OrthoChristian English part of the overall website run from the MP's Sretensky Monastery. I bridle at that attempt to seem trendy "OrthoChristian". Why not just Orthodox Christian ? Or else, could it be a carryover from the Soviet style of rolling the 1st syllables of words together for company names ? Such as Mosfilm or Sovphoto [ I just made these up to furnish examples ].

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Beautiful photos taken over Nativity at Solovki by talented local resident Nadezhda Terekhova follow.
[ It's wonderful to see all the scaffolding around the Cathedrals and Churches finally gone after so many years of restoration. ]