Can I go to Athos?

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Euthymios

Can I go to Athos?

Post by Euthymios »

I am an American and I think I rather go to Mount Athos to become a monk instead of America. Does anyone know how I can contact the zealot sketes on Mount Athos? Does anyone know anything about how to get there, price, etc? I guess the sketes are my only option since the rest have fallen into heretical jurisdictions?

Also, if I want to learn Greek, what form should I learn (classical, koine, etc)? I don't know what form of Greek they talk there. Thank you.

Euthymios

Post by Euthymios »

I have to say, only being here a few days, I can say with confidence, this is the deadest forum/website I have ever seen in my life.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

As far as I know, any adult male can go. I don't know what the procedure is these days, but it probably still includes going to the US Embassy in Thessaloniki to get a criminal background check which you take to the Ministry of Northern Greece which, if you find a way to communicate with them, will give you a three day pass which is all the longer a foreigner is allowed to stay.
Then you take an early morning bus to Ouranoupoli and board a boat. I don't know about now, but they used to take your passport and the three day pass on the boat, which was then transfered to the bus driver at the Athonite Port of Dafni, who then delivers it to the authorities in the village of Karyes, from whence you are given the real three day pass. If you want to stay, those three days must be used to find a skete which will vouch for you and help you get permission to stay longer.
Perhaps there is another way these days, this info is 20 years old.
It would probably be easier to find a monastery elsewhere in Greece, under whatever bishop you choose, and go there.
As far as I know everyone speaks modern Greek. The services are read in Koine though, a.f.a.i.k., (someone will correct me if I am wrong).

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Euthymios wrote:

I have to say, only being here a few days, I can say with confidence, this is the deadest forum/website I have ever seen in my life.

Perhaps there are just not too many single people here with lots of internet time on their hands , who also know about Mount Athos.

Perhaps we are all testing your patience, just to see if you are really ready to be a novice :)

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Euthymios

Post by Euthymios »

Thank you for your responses. I don't want another monastery in Greece. Its Mount Athos or America.

GOCTheophan

Post by GOCTheophan »

Euthymios wrote:

Thank you for your responses. I don't want another monastery in Greece. Its Mount Athos or America.

Surely in some ways a monastery is a monastery no matter where it is?
Would it not be best to ask your Spiritual Father or write to your Bishop about these things?

Theophan.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

GOCTheophan wrote:
Euthymios wrote:

Surely in some ways a monastery is a monastery no matter where it is?
Would it not be best to ask your Spiritual Father or write to your Bishop about these things?

Theophan.

I agree with Theophan. I can tell you from personal experience, because I have lived at three different Orthodox monasteries for a collective period of five years. Two of those years were as a novice. I finally decided it wasn't my calling and got married. I must say that any monastic situation is what you make of it. You have everything you need for your salvation right there at your disposal: frequent reception of the Mysteries of the Church, a spiritual father who is accessible any time you have warfare, and plenty of time in your cell to pray. You still have to fight the inner battle with your passions, and as long as you find a True Orthodox monastery with a full cycle of services, it's as good a place as any.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...